Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Police Positive Target(In .22LR):

1)Which of these, are the ones, that are the most collectible?

2)Are the least collectible ones, still fairly worthwhile to collect?

3)What type of values, do the various versions of these guns have?

4)What to look for, when collecting these guns?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Police Positive Target in .22LR; Value? What ones sre most collectible? Rarity?

Majic:

You know, I saw one of these, about two weeks ago, at a sporting goods store! It looked real nice(At least 98%)and, was priced maybe at $300 or$250(I can't remember?)but, the only thing that I found wrong with it, was that the knurled knob, that screws onto the ejector rod, was missing-and, I wasn't sure, if I would have trouble finding one of these, or not? Maybe, I will try to check back with that Sporting Goods store again, to see if by some slim chance, that this Colt Officer's Target gun, might still be available?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: Police Positive Target in .22LR; Value? What ones sre most collectible? Rarity?

Colt38,

1) ALL Colt Pre War Target guns are collectible.

2) As far as Colt Target gun collectors go, there are NONE that are least collectible, most "true" collectors will want at least one of each model.

3) Almost impossible to answer. Value depends on the Condition and Model.

4) Always try to be sure that it's ORIGINAL when buying any of them.

IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colt38:
Police Positive Target(In .22LR):

1)Which of these, are the ones, that are the most collectible?

2)Are the least collectible ones, still fairly worthwhile to collect?

3)What type of values, do the various versions of these guns have?

4)What to look for, when collecting these guns?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by Ira Paine (edited 03-30-2004).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Colt38, I would take a real close look at that PPT, if it were me. A gun cannot be 98%, in my opinion, if it has parts missing.
Could it have other things missing or something else wrong with it? Why else would a $625 gun (according to book) be priced at $250-300? You have to ask yourself.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

1)Maybe, this Sporting Goods Store, just hasn't paid attention, to which gun the PPT, really is?

2)I plan to check that gun out, more carefully? It is a "Consignment gun"!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

If it's a true, functioning PPT I would get it. The part may be available from Gun Parts. It shouldn't be too hard to find as that's a standard D-frame part.
There are some older guns on the market for sale that the owners don't really know what they have and price them wrong. That price sounds like the market value of a PP or PPS.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Another one the nice Colts that you see few of and hear even less of them. I have only seen one for sale my entire life and it must have been a real working gun as it's had seen it's best days go by. Like the 357, the PPT lost out to the Diamondback in appeal to the buyers.
I would like the 2nd issue as I've heard they are a little heftier which I believe should balance better with the 6" barrel, but I would like to see both personally to find out for sure.
Do anyone have one?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I won't know for sure, until I can inspect that PPT, again-however, it's my assumption, that it is the first issue(Model "G")instead of the "Heavier" framed, second issue(Model "C")? I can't wait, to solve this "Mystery"? I must go fifty miles, to find out!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I have just got back, from inspecting, the PPT, more closely-and, following, is what I found:

1)The gun, is the second model "C"(And, the serial number, dates this PPT, to the year, 1933)!

2)The gun, is mechanically sound(And, no other parts are missing-except for the already mentioned, ejector rod knob)!

3)The gun, has(At some time?)been reblued(Not bad-but, not a top notch, job)!

4)The barrel(And, cylinder bores)are in nice condition!

5)The grips, are in good condition(And, are original to the gun)!

Questions:

1)How much, do you all, think that the "Rebluing" might have degraded, the potential, value of this PPT?

2)Is being "Reblued" reason enough, to pass on buying this PPT, for $250(Or, is this still a good buy(With some room, to make a little profit?)?

Anyone, please comment? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

IMHO, re-bluing kills all desirability for me to purchase a gun and it has no collector value plus it makes it much harder to sell and get your money back. That is, unless you are just looking for a truck box shooter, then go ahead and get it.
Kinda makes you wonder though about the guy who let it get in such bad shape, to need re-bluing, and how well did he take care of the rest of the gun (internally).
Personally, I wouldn't go over $250 for a gun like that, but that's just me.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

As a collectable item the value has gone out the window, but as a shooter it doesn't really matter. The PPT was another of the fitted target guns of Colt and the target shooters never really cared much for the external conditions. They looked for performance and performance only. If it was in the orignal and excellent finish the price would be a lot higher than that.
Now do you want a shooter or a looker?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well, I was afraid, that the rebluing, would cause the collectible value, to go out the window! I wanted to find this PPT, to be originally, finished(But, it didn't turn out that way)!

I certainly, would more prefer a "Looker" than a "Shooter"! Although, the gun seems to be mechanically sound(And, tight)! It would probably, make a good shooter!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts