Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas, I've just decided to start collecting old Colt da's and figured the best way to start is with a .22. Can you shoot hi-speed ammo in a PPT or is it only safe for std. velocity? Also what is a good book that illustrates and describes Colt da's well? Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
With the PPT being a revolver and the frame can handle the .38SW it should have no problem with the high velocity .22lr. That said it would probably be more accurate with the standard velocity ammo.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Welcome to the Forum,MSJ. Not to "nit pick",but Colt did not start approvong hi speed .22 l.r. ammo for their revolvers until 1931,when they recessed the chamber holes to fully protect the head in case of rupture. This was more of a problem with early .22 ammo hi speed ammo,and a pre 1931 Colt is probably perfectly safe with modern hi speed.

Another word of caution,when you are looking for a P.P. Target; MANY were chambered in .22 WRF,and so marked on the left side of the bbl. This was .22 Winchester Rim Fire,a longer and fatter case,with the bullet inside the case,not a heel type like a .22 l.r. This cartridge was a forerunner of the 1959-present .22 Magnum Rifire,which is longer and not able to chamber(thankfully) in these older guns. You'd have a heeluva time finding .22WRF ammo today,at a shooters quanity/price! So be wary!

You might find the .22 Police Positive Target a little light for a steady hold,if you are used to firing heavier guns. Don't turn down an Officers Model .22 on the larger E/I frame! Good luck in your quest!

Bud

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
MSJ: I second the vote for a Officers Model Target or the later Officers Model Match if you are just starting out. This is especially true if you intend to shoot your guns. Great 22 Revolver!

Books: The general favorite is "Colt an American Legend" by R.L. Wilson which you can find for under $30. It is listed on ebay a lot... just about all the time. Other book that I really like is titled "Colt Firearms 1836-1960 by James E. Serven. There are various editions of this available, but the most recent one may still be available in gun shops at about $20 or so. Great picture drawings of the DA revolvers as well as factual information. The Colt Bible is "The Book of Colt Firearms" (1970) by R.Q. Sutherland & R.L. Wilson which sells for $100+ even in the second edition. First edition sells for between $200 and $500. Prices used to be more for that one until they published the second edition and the bottom fell out of the market for a while on the first edition.
I have an extra first edition if you really are in the mood for one.

For general (and I mean general) reference and price information the "Standard Catalog of Firearms" current 2005 edition is good for looking at a wide variety of handguns and long guns in terms of pictures and stuff.

Best pricing guide is and continues to be the "Blue Book of Gun Values". The 2005 edition was just published in the last week or two.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, guys. I fondled a PPT for the first time today in a shop. It was an old one with the pony inside the C logo, about 70% priced at 325. It did not have the recessed cyl. Dang that thing was small! Had a 6" bbl and looked real cute. Yeah, for real shooting I'd need the Official Police, but I haven't seen one of these around locally.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts