Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. OK you savage animals, time to tear a gun apart! This is the only photo I have of what looks to be a police positive from the 1930s. Judging from m cylinder it looks to be a .38. I can see significant Holster wear on the cylinder, and possibly on the barrel I’m assuming the other side Is of the same grade. So I would say this is one probably shooter grade value. A buddy of mine is getting rid of it for his dad, what do you think would be a fair price for This gun? I know you guys know colts like the back of your hand and never miss a chance to tell a guy that one of his screws Isn’t original, so have at it. Thanks in advance, and keep your pants and your powder dry.....
    F820E7CC-AF5B-42A3-ADEB-82D8F570DE15.jpeg

·
Premium Member
5,723 Posts
Remember that’s not a common 38 special. It’s 38 S&W of which ammo is still made but harder to find and up to twice the price of common 38 special. $250, plus or minus $50. Those hard rubber stocks were discontinued in the early to mid 20’s, so if original to the gun ( the serial number is usually etched in the inside of the stocks), the gun was made earlier than the 30’s.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I would be hard pressed at even $175. It's rough, the sideplate screws are buggered, the left grip is loose or wonky, and Colt made tens of thousands of them. They are fine revolvers, but there are much better examples very reasonably priced in the $300 range.

If the top strap and trigger are smooth, it's a first issue or pre-1928.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
It's about the cheapest model, worst condition, and undesirable caliber of a vintage Colt. $125 IF you really like it. Otherwise, save about double or triple that much and get a nice looking one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts