Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my favorite Colts is an old PP I was lucky enough to find. When I got it, it had been test fired only, every other cylinder and been sitting in a drawer for nearly fifty years. It's chambered for 38S&W (38 Colt New Police) and shoots like a dream. The blue is that classic old blue, so deep you could fall in.

·
Registered
535 Posts
This is a real beauty! And YOU, Mr. Jar, are quite a photographer, too! MOst of the PP's one sees have been, "rode hard and put away wet," but not this one. I've had the pleasure of the company of one of these for a time, too and they shoot as good as yours looks. Never did understand about the one I had - it was very nice but the grips looked like something Jed Clampet whitled on a bad drunk. With a gold emblem!? No such trouble here! Curious, as I'm also a fan of the Official Police, but what I don't get is why anyone - including me, bought and carried the OP when the PP was around. Same caliber, same bullet, quite a bit less bulk and weight and, MAYBE, even a NICER single-action. Feels like a DS with a real barrel - which is what it is! Nice goin'! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jar:
One of my favorite Colts is an old PP I was lucky enough to find. When I got it, it had been test fired only, every other cylinder and been sitting in a drawer for nearly fifty years. It's chambered for 38S&W (38 Colt New Police) and shoots like a dream. The blue is that classic old blue, so deep you could fall in.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey. I have two Police Positives. Both in 38Sp. I found the first one in a gun shop probably 25 years ago. It has a 4" barrel. Unfortunately it's not in anywhere near the condition your's is. Just about 3 weeks ago I ran across another one, this time with a 6" barrel. This one is in much better condition, and came with the original box, although it's still not as pretty as yours. Turns out the 6" one was made in 1932, the 4" one, in the fifties. The older one has nicer features, like knurling on the trigger and the release catch thingy.

I got to shoot both of them in a Wild Bunch Cowboy match last Sunday, and they were a delight to shoot. Usally I love S&W revolvers, but these little Police Positives are just so elegant.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot of folk don't know about the PPs, and it's a shame. But they are a great yet small handgun and served the police forces well for many, many decades. I have to admit though that it does get many stares when seen with some of the larger models. Here's the little PP among some S&W 1917s.

Looks like a cap gun. But actually, it was slightly larger than the Smith Model 3 DA that was another favorite from the period.

------------------
I'm so worried about what's hapenin' today, in the middle east, you know.
And I'm worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.
I'm so worried about the fashions today, I don't think they're good for your feet.
And I'm so worried about the shows on TV that sometimes they want to repeat.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeo, Pilgrim! Now, I really like this forum. It's like living in Kansas - it's slow and sparce enough that I feel like I have a fighting chance to contribute. I really liked the pictures and talk about jars' guns - especially the pictures. But now, just where the hell does the quote from Monte Python lyrics come from!?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeo, Pilgrim! Now, I really like this forum. It's like living in Kansas - it's slow and sparce enough that I feel like I have a fighting chance to contribute. I really liked the pictures and talk about jars' guns - especially the pictures. But now, just where the hell does the quote from Monte Python lyrics come from!?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought this WAS a Python forum?

------------------
I'm so worried about what's hapenin' today, in the middle east, you know.
And I'm worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow.
I'm so worried about the fashions today, I don't think they're good for your feet.
And I'm so worried about the shows on TV that sometimes they want to repeat.

[This message has been edited by jar (edited 10-29-2003).]

·
Registered
535 Posts
A-w-w-w, Jar ... Python? "PYTHON!" I get it - you sly fox you! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jar:
I thought this WAS a Python forum?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts