Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While pawn shop perusing this afternoon I spotted a Colt Police Positive in the case. It was blue, with a 4" barrel and the tag said .38 Special. I didn't get a real good look at it, but did notice that it looked like new. Probably bought and placed in a drawer long ago.
It appeared to have the same grip frame as my Colt Cobra, and the same grips as well.
He had it marked $395.
When I go in on Friday to put money down on the Python mentioned in another post, is there something I should look for on this PP? I'll get the serial number, but anything else?
How does the price sound?

Thanks,
RDave

·
Registered
132 Posts
See what the barrel says: if it's a .38 Special, then it's a "Police Positive Special"; if it's a "Police Positive", then it's a .38 New Police, that is, .38 S&W. Just something to be aware of. I paid 400 for a nice prewar 5" PPS recently, and thought I paid a little too much. They are nice little guns, though, and if this is a good specimen, it's not a totally unreasonable price.

Bill A

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
If the revolver is tagged ".38 Special," it probably IS a .38 Special, and is therefore a PPS, not a PP. The PPS was made from 1908 until well into the 1970s, so the value depends on the vintage. The older, the more valuable. If the grip frame resembles a Cobra, which would mean a round butt (unless the poster has an early Cobra with a 4-inch or longer barrel - disregard the Blue Book's erroneous information that all early Cobras have square butts), the gun will have to be at least about 1933 or later. Odds are that the revolver is a Post-War of late vintage. A serial number would help determine the age and value.

·
Registered
132 Posts
JudgeColt--

I've been surprised in the past at how many times .38 S&W's have been mismarked ".38 Special." Or the reverse: not long ago, I saw a S&W M&P 1905 1st Change in .38 S&W advertised somewhere on the internet (may have been GunsAmerica, I don't remember). According to all my refs, none were made in that caliber. I got all excited--emailed the dealer; yup, .38 S&W. I was all ready to buy when I got a sheepish second email--.38 Special after all.

To top this: I once bought a New Army in .38 LC; the seller offered it as a .38 Special!

So I never assume that whoever is selling knows the difference.

Best,
Bill A

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pawnshop also had what was tagged as an Army Special in .38 Special.
He must have purchased somebody's Colt collection as he had the PP, Python, Trooper, Army Special, and another Colt all together.
I'll get the specifics on Friday.

RDave

·
Registered
535 Posts
RemingtonDave. Greetings and welcome. There's a couple tests for Colts, as you probably already know. Timing seems to always be a concern - more with Colts than other brands. I wouldn't know about collecting the PPS ... I don't think they're particularly scarce or anything but they are very fine revolvers, I think. The one I used to have would take grips from my Cobra. Price seems about par, I'd say.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know and I won't be able to get over there for a few days.
The dealer is Point Guns and Loan in Plover ,WI.
He is a transfer dealer listed on Gunsamerica. Area code 715.
All his contact info is listed there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kennedy:
how much is he asking for the army special?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

$285

1 - 9 of 9 Posts