Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Order a Colt 1923 Police Positive with four inch barrel in .38 N.P. (.38 S&W) caliber.
Received it yesterday and was surprised how small it is. Almost child sized.
Opinions ?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Order a Colt 1923 Police Positive with four inch barrel in .38 N.P. (.38 S&W) caliber.
Received it yesterday and was surprised how small it is. Almost child sized.
Opinions ?
It’s a D frame like a Detective Special I believe or Diamondback. I have a 77 PP that’s a great shooter. Maybe change out the grips, but I know less about them than I do my wife!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a 1920 PP 4" in .32NP..very small, early frame...If an officer today pulled it, the thug would laugh! but, that may give an opportunity for a clean head shot!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Go shoot it. Your frame is a little smaller, shorter, than the later .38 special guns. I have a late model PPS in .38 special. With 148gr HBWC ammo, I just look in the direction of what I'm shooting at, and it hits it.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
I try to warn people when they start talking about buying one for target work or in .38 Special for a lot of shooting. Great little guns, little being the operative word. The mid sized Official Police are more comfortable in the hand, and shooting. But a little heavier on the hip.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,888 Posts
Note that people often get confused between an actual Police Positive and the larger framed Police Positive Special.
This is often caused by the way Colt marked the model name and caliber on the barrel, and people only see "Police Positive" and don't note the "Special" caliber.

The Police Positive is a petite little revolver, and back in the day it was carried by a lot of cops, who considered the low power .32 and .38 S&W/Colt NP round to be enough.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I have one of each, a .32, and a .38. If you think the .38 PP is dainty, check out the .32.
Either one is capable of taking the fight out of a BG, and a lot of BGs have been sent back to the manufacturer for warranty adjustment with these low powered rounds.
They shoot real easy and are a lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
5,780 Posts
The early grip frame of both the police positive and police positive special was changed in the mid-late 20’s. I use a pachmayr grip adapter for comfort shooting these but it’s for the later frame. I don’t know if they made one for the very early frame. The police positive in 38 S&W is a mild shooting round in the small gun.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
These are a .32 PP 1919, a .38 PP 1916, a PPS 1948, and a PPS 1919.

^^^this image should be pointing to the left like the others.......but it ain't.........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts