Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 1941 Police Positive special with a 5 inch barrel. It's almost perfect with about 95% of the blueing still there. The old gun shoots like a new one. I got it on trade from a friend of mine. I was wondering if there is any value of this revolver.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Welcome to the Forum,Deaconjay.

P.P.S.s are nice compact Colts. I assume yours is in .38 Special,but some were made from 1908-1941 in the 32/20 wcf. chambering,and are worth a premium over the more common .38 Specials.

While your gun will certainly handle modern .38 Special +P ammo,I would mostly shoot standard velocity,or equivalent handloads. Assuming again,that the gun has correct and standard wooden stocks,with a silver Colt medallion on the top,a grip adapter usually makes these lighter Colts more comfortable to shoot,as there is little space between the rear of trigger guard and the front grip strap;they will sometimes "pound" the hand in recoil,and adapter will reduce this.

The 5" bbl. seems a little "rarer" than the more common 4 and 6 inchers,and would add a little premium to your guns value.

Unlike some,who go by the Blue Book,I won't give an estimate of its value,despite the 95%,without seeing it,and checking for "timing issues". These guns are NOT rare.

With older Colts,well ANY Colt,escalating in prices with the "demise"(?) of Colt,and this being fueled by those sellers living in a fantasy world,a figure in the "$300" range would be in the "area".

Enjoy your Colt,they don't,won't and can't put that quality into a regular production revolver anymore!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.