Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I picked up a very nice Police Positive in .38 special. Can anyone tell me when it was made? I looked at the proof house house web site and according to the serial number it was made in 1924. The serial # is 155xxx. However on the barrel one of the patent dates reads 1926. What do you think? Re-barreled? Also whats the difference between a PP special and a PP 38? Either way its a cool little gun. Thanks for you help.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
A Pocket Positive with that serial would be 1937, if it's really a "little" gun. What are the markings, and then we'll wait for the period / model experts. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I don't think its a pocket positive. It says Police Positive 38 special on the barrel.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I'm coming up with a 1919 production date. If it is a .38 Special chambered revolver it would be the Police Positive Special model rather than the Police Positive model. Perhaps rebarreled at some point in its career, it still is a cool little revolver. If it possesses a short frame and cylinder and a .38 Special won't fit then it is chambered for the .38 Colt New Police/.38 S&W cartridge and has been rebarreled with a .38 Special marked barrel. The true experts may correct me on this but as I understand it, the Police Positive was continued after WWII in the more powerful .38 Special chambering. The designation Police Positive Special was dropped along with the shorter framed versions of Police Positive being also discontinued. If this isn't clear as mud perhaps you can reread it until it makes sense. If not then remember:

Police Positive chambered for .22's .32 New Police,and .38 New Police

Police Positive Special, longer frame and cylinder and chambered for the .32-20 and .38 special

I like the Police Positives and Police Positive Special revolvers which seemed to be the underdogs of Colt DA revolver collecting until recently.

Get 'em while they're hot!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response. It is chambered for the 38 special. I know this because I shot a box of wad cutters through it the moment I bought it. I wouldn't know how to tell the difference between a short frame and long frame. I'm not that Familiar on old Colt revolvers. Also it has what looks like an ordnance bomb on the right side of the frame? Its small and hard to see, with my eyes anyway. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts