Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Police Positive\'s with 6 inch barrel

What calibers were they made in with a six inch barrel? I'm pretty sure that the list included 22lr, 32 S*W Long and 38 S&W. What others?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: Police Positive\'s with 6 inch barrel

The 6" bbls,but in target sighted form,were made in .22 lr. and .22 wrf. Also in .32 S&W long and .38 S&W(or .32 and .38 Colt New Police,as Colt referred to them).

The longer cylindered Police Positive Special,offered the 32/20 and .38 Special.

Not sure if Colt continued to offer the "old" outside lubricated(later inside lubricated,with a smaller diameter bullet) .32 Colt,both short & long versions in the Police Positive. I've seen a couple of earlier new Polices in this chambering,but not a P.P. Bud

·
Registered
909 Posts

I saw an interesting "transition" model at a show last weekend. Frame marked - New Police, left side of barrel - .32 COLT, right side of barrel - Police Positive. Probably will regret not buying it, but I thought it about $100 too high for it's condition. I was probably the only person who even looked at it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Now that is really interesting. I knew that some were chambered in 32-20 and 38 Special but I didn't realize that the name of the gun was different and that the cylinders were longer. Very interesting.

But in the smaller cylindered revolvers, police positives, weren't some also chambered in 32 Colt?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

klw,I mentioned that some of the smaller guns were in .32 Colt,and here lies a "problem" for those wishing to buy "shooter grade" early Colt D.A.s in .32 caliber:

The .32 Colt,in both its long & short versions used a heel type bullet. The heel fit in the case,and rest of bullet stayed out(like a .22 long rifle). So,bullet and case diameter are the same. Later,a hollow based bullet that fit inside the case was used-BUT-the bullet was only .298 in diameter,and hopefully expanded to fit the .312-.314 bore of the .32s. While you can still buy .32 "Long Colt",as new ammo,it is of this hollow based,and accuracy is "fair".

If I was looking for a .32 Colt Double Action,I would bring a sized .32 S&W long,or .32 Colt New Police case(but NOT a loaded round!!) to gun shows,and check that it would chamber-if it wo'nt,as the case is too big a diameter(to fit the .314 bullet inside its case),you found one chambered for the ".32 Colt",and will not be an easy gun to reload/buy ammo for.

Can't give you a "date",when Colt finally ended the .32 Colt offering. I had 3 New Polices,at one time,and the earliest,a 6",was in .32 Colt. The other two,including a great little New Police Target,could chamber the .32 S&W long. My "guess" would be around 1908,when the Police Positive finally came in,but its hard to say,as evidenced by Bushwhacker's find of the transitional model,and I've seen these; Colt did not like to waste parts!!!

Finally(now that you are probably more confused about the .32s!),the earliest Colts,for the .32,.38.and .41 Colt cartridges,were bored straight through the cylinders,with no step,in the chambers,but I think this was changed before the swing out cylinder D.A.s came in. Bud

·
Registered
909 Posts

Thanks, Nframe. You're right, longer barrels are more scarce, but a lot of .32's were "dresser drawer specials" and they didn't see a lot of use. Don't sell the snubbier barrel lengths short (no pun intended) as they shoot well, too. I bet if you found a nice Pocket Positive, it would be true love...just trying to help you spend your money

·
Registered
388 Posts

Bushwacker,
That is one incredibly beautiful revolver, with the box yet!!! Thanks to you I now have to get some Windex and cleam the drool off my screen! I have long been looking for a long-barreled .32 as the .32 S&W Long is one of my favorite cartidges because of its accuracy and mild recoil. The closest I could find was a 4" P.P. .32, but the firing pin was busted off because some moron dry fired it too much. The dealer put a replacement in, but I passed on it because I didn't trust the replacement part.

·
Registered
388 Posts

Bushwacker,
You're absolutely right. I do have a 2 1/2" Pocket Positive made in 1919. It is a transitional model made when Colt was trying to get away from the .32 Colt cartridges. It does not have any caliber marking on the barrel! They did not want to put .32 S&W Long on their guns, and at this time had not come up with the idea of calling the cartridge the .32 Colt New Police yet, so they just put nothing! It is taking care of my .32 desires for now, but I would love to have a long barreled .32 as well. For its size, the Pocket Positive is an amazingly tough little gun. It can digest relatively heavy loads easily. I think this might be because Colt heat-treated its revolvers back then, unlike S&W. Half the fun is the hunt, so I'll keep looking!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi new to the club. I am looking for a barrel for a Police pos. for the kid used reloads and took it out. Lucky she did not get her hand taken too. Poff

·
Premium Member
19,405 Posts
Poff, I looked through my parts and found a NOS 4" Police Positive 38 Special nickeled barrel. probably not what you need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts