Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Police Postitive 6\" Target .22

I recently picked up a .22 Police Positive 6" .22 with adjustable sights.

The finish is about gone, but it is not rusty and the grips are decent. It is mechanically good and shoots very well.

From the serial number it seems to have been made in 1914.

Any thoughts on it's value? Is it unusual enough that it should not be refinished etc?

Thanks

Chuck

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: Police Postitive 6\" Target .22

22 lr. or .22 WRF?? A lot were made in the more powerful .22 WRF for "trail use". They are both fairly common,fairly light weight for today's shooters,hence "slippery" to hold on target.

W/O seeing the gun,based on your description of lack of finish,$300,tops,assuming everyting else is original and in fine shape. Refinish??? Too damn much of that going on IMO!!

Bud

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It's .22 LR... no .22 Mag in 1914.

Thanks

Chuck

·
Registered
909 Posts

I think these first came out in 1910, so yours is a very early model. Does it have a large "C" around the rampant colt on the sideplate? With the finish gone, it's value is as a shooter, so I guess I would enjoy it as-is.

Also remember this was built before high velocity .22 rimfire ammo was developed, and while there is a lot of steel in that cylinder, I would stick with standard velocity .22's. About 1933 Colt's started recessing the chambers to accomodate high speed ammo, as apparently there had been some problems with cartridge heads splitting.

Dollar value? If it's tight mechanically, I'd guess $350-400 minimum as these pre-war target .22's are getting scarcer all the time. If you can hold a light barrel steady, these are damn fine shooters. HTH

B.W.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

I am NOT talking about .22 Magnum,that came out in 1959! The .22 WinchesterRimfire,an inside lubricated bullet,that came out around 1890.Longer case,and more power,it was discontinued after W.W. II.

Was fairly popular in the Colt P.P. Targets,but was mostly found in Winchester pumps for small game hunting,where it was a better killer than the .22 lr. out to almost 100 yards.

To my knowledge,S&W,never offered the .22WRF as a production offering,so this may explain your confusion with the .22 Magnum. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Bud

·
Banned
1,130 Posts

here is a pp/t circa 1935 that i bought several yrs ago from a friend. gun has recessed chambers and shoots well. about a 75-80 % gun that shows honest use. my camera is not too good so please excuse the photo quality.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Bought this one (DOM 1910) on GB a couple weeks ago for under $200
It's 22LR wish it would have 22WRF.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

.22WRF; Why do you wish it was in your "name" caliber..22wrf? Last run of factory ammo was in the late 80's and I think it was priced at $7.50 per 50! Can't use .22 Magnum(.22WMR) in it.

If yours is a late model,.22 long rifles should be OK with the recessed heads,and you may get case splits with the .22 lrs. being undersized with the chambers. I'd use lead bullets,and probably standard velocity,but some of the cheap "specials" at Wally World,in high velocity,only chrono'd a few fps. faster than some Eley Standard Velocity loads on my friends chrono.Bet you could find a .22 WRF cylinder on "fleabay" etc. Henry Stebbins,in his great book,"Pistols,a Modern Encyclopedia"(1961),mentions he had Colt made a dual cylindered P.P. Target for him in the 30's.Sort of 25 years ahead of the dual cylindered Colt "Scouts" and Ruger Single Sixes.

Bud

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Your "update" says NOT to use these JHPs in revolvers,due to the undersize bore(thats why I said in an earlier post to use lead bullets). No price listed.

Are you gonna attempt to try this in your Colt?

Bud

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

OK,but that new WRF ammo you "updated",says it specifically is NOT for revolvers,and you seem to want a P.P.Target in .22 WRF.

That said,I knew some guys who used to "reload" heavier .22 bullets,like for the .223 & .220 Swift etc. for their .22 Magnum revolvers. They would pull the stock bullets(not with an "inertia puller"!!) keep same powder,and got more power for "small bore plate shooting". One guy had limited success in cutting down the still primed .22 mag cases,to .22 WRF length,and putting back "some" of the powder charge,but not all. Used this in his Winchester pump .22 WRF,and never blew it up.But reloading "primed rimfire" cases seems a little risky to me.

So,there is a way to shoot the older Colts-besides,if you find one-stress the totally obsolete caliber to the seller,especially if the gun is in the "shooter class".

Did the above with an old reblued New Service Target(1907).marked .44 Russian,plus I could see the chambers were for .44 Special,but Russian brass was easy to get etc.Seller could see my point,and being a "resfinished gun",he couldn't get collector price,so it was $250,a few years ago.

Bud

1 - 12 of 12 Posts