Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm just dense this evening, but did Colt use the short square butt on the Police Positive Special as well as on the DS, Cobra and Agent?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll keep my eyes open for one now... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Have to save some moola.

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
Do you understand that the short butt frame on a Post-1965 D-frame was not well finished and the bottom was intended to be covered by the stocks rather than be exposed? If you are thinking you want a PPS with the short butt for concealment purposes, then you could install Agent stocks from a Post-1965 Agent on a Post-1965 PPS and achieve that end.

Colt went to this "universal" stubb butt frame so that the ultimate length and shape of the butt could be controlled by the amount of wood in the stocks left below the butt, rather than by the metal in the butt frame.

I do not consider the abbreviated butt a desirable feature. I consider it a symptom of the corners Colt began cutting to cheapen its products, ultimately leading to plastic parts on Models O and the like, and essentially total loss of market share. If I were saving my money to buy a PPS, I would look for a Pre-1966 model with the full frame, but that is just my opinion. If you want a PPS with a short butt for concealed carry, then a Post-1965 gun with Agent stocks is your only choice, absent application of a hacksaw to a Pre-1966 PPS butt.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I am not that well known here and so I know you don'tknow me/might not understand. I recently bought a DS made in 1972 as a shooter. A wonderful person gave me a set of grips (Herretts) and they are wonderful on the 3" gun. However, I'd already run down another set of Herretts grips which turn out not to be what I expected. They will however fit that grip frame AND cover the bottom. So, if I run across another gun in the proper serial range, a shooter grade, I'll be able to pop for it without having to remove whatever monstrosity of Pachmayrs or some such that cover the grip frame. There will be no doubt. I often come across some accessory that turns me into the pursuit of a particular gun. I've bought guns because I picked up some brass and became intrigued by the cartridge and wanted to see how it performed. My guns are to educate me about guns, not as a collection or because I'm nuts about one model, make, etc. I enjoy them all and love to learn about them. Some I'm lucky enough to learn about first hand!

FWIW, compared to some guns, the bottom of the grip frame isn't all that bad at least on this DS. Lots of mfgs have cut costs lots of ways, some on the cosmetics, some on the quality some in every area. That is a fact of life. While I appreciate the pre-war craftsmanship, I can live with some of the things that have come to pass. I do admit, though, that I don't much care for the MIM parts, additional "safety" locks and such. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts