Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a dilema. I'm looking to buy a Colt revolver from a friend. But there seems to be a little confusion as to exactly what it is and when it was manufactured. According to the Colt serial number database, (serial number F15098) it is a Police Positive Special & Detective Special made in 1974. In researching this model, it apparently was manufactured from 1908 to 1995, in calibers 32 Colt, 38 Colt New Police, 32-20 and 38 Special. Here is the problem. On the barrel is "Colt DA 45" which indicates it is a Double Action 45 (according to Wikipedia). I haven't actually seen it first hand, so I can't really say what caliber it is. My friend did send me a couple photos.
Colt-1.jpg
Colt-2.jpg
Could the Colt database be wrong?

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
Someone screwed a New Service barrel onto a D-frame revolver. It's a frankengun...a curiosity at best and scrap at worst.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Doesn’t quite look like a D frame to me. I didn’t know any of those ever had a flat latch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I figured it might be some kind of morphadite. My friend actually inherited it when his father in law passed. And his father in law was a major gunsmith locally, so I kinda figured he probably built the thing out of parts. So basically I should pass on it?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would unless you could get it real cheap, like $75 or $100 or something. Then I figure you could sell the parts and maybe be okay.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
Actually...it looks to be an early New Service with a 1917 barrel on it. After looking more closely it's not a D-frame.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
If it's cheap and goes 'Bang!' when you want it to, it would be a fine car, truck, or nightstand gun. Cheap, as stated above. It might turn out to be a fun shooter.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
Ok, I figured it might be some kind of morphadite. So basically I should pass on it?
It really comes down to why you are even considering it. If you have money to burn, like curiosities, or need to do the friend a favor, and the gun is cheap, go for it.

if you actually need a gun for a serious purpose, or you’d like an “honest” older gun with a bit of collector value, then pass this one by.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,740 Posts
As above this is a Colt large frame New Service revolver that's had new grips installed and been refinished.

Look at the serial number again. New Service revolver never had a letter prefix, only numbers.
Letters above or below the number stamped on the frame under the barrel are factory inspection stamps.
Military New Service models like the Model 1917 have a US Government number and military ownership mark stamped on the bottom of the butt, and a Colt factory number on the frame below the barrel, visible when the cylinder crane is swung out.

Here's some general information on the New Service models.......

If it's in good mechanical condition and the price is right, this could be a very good buy.
These heavy frame New Service revolvers make excellent shooters.
Other then the re-blue and grips I don't see much that indicate it's a "Frankengun".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts