Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '83 Python has a stain (or worn/thin spot?) on the cylinder's finish. It might be from some gun cleaning solvent that wasn't completely removed after cleaning and it etched the plating. I have some 38-1200 polishing compound and thought I would see if I could really screw it up. I figure if I do hose it up I can return it to Colt for a tune-up and a replating job. Any one try this? Nev-R-Dull didn't work. I can't stand the stain and I'm not trying to save the gun as a collectible. It's a shooter but I like my guns looking like new. (I know..it's an anal thing.) Any suggestion would be appreciated.

·
Registered
535 Posts
May help, ... I just love a metal polish called "Simichrome Polish." It's made in Germany and is rather expensive. It's available on line. I learned about it through a rather cruddy S&W 66 on the Kansas Highway Patrol. It shined that one up great. (I use it on my Colts, too.)It makes most anything metal look great. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BrainOnSigs:
My '83 Python has a stain (or worn/thin spot?) on the cylinder's finish. It might be from some gun cleaning solvent that wasn't completely removed after cleaning and it etched the plating. I have some 38-1200 polishing compound and thought I would see if I could really screw it up. I figure if I do hose it up I can return it to Colt for a tune-up and a replating job. Any one try this? Nev-R-Dull didn't work. I can't stand the stain and I'm not trying to save the gun as a collectible. It's a shooter but I like my guns looking like new. (I know..it's an anal thing.) Any suggestion would be appreciated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
21 Posts
Flitz polish is the first thing I'd try. I have an early Python with nickel and I thought for sure I was looking at a replate. Try it, you won't believe the outcome.

Vipereater

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After further examination under a large magnifying glass the copper is showing through. I am going to send the gun to Colt for a re-plating job. Has anyone done this? How did it work out? I want the same high gloss nickel. The price is $225 plus $25 S+H to return it. I'm not worried as much about the price as I am the finished product.

[This message has been edited by BrainOnSigs (edited 09-18-2003).]

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had Colt repair a Magnum Carry about 6 months ago but no refinishing was involved. I was satisfied with the work,

John

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody have Colt refinish a gun for them? Good job? Bad job? OK? Anyone have the nickel redone? I have a local plater that is also a top notch gunsmith but I might trust Colt a little bit more. Any experiences would be helpful. Thanks!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,887 Posts
Since I'm now retired, my experience with Colt factory work may be out of date.

However, I've never seen a "Bad" refinish from Colt.
The web site used to have a statement that they couldn't guarantee that re-blue jobs might have some lettering blurred slightly, but I've never seen that.

On the re-nickle work, it always looked like it had never been refinished.
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think a re-nickel needs to be polished. I think they electro-strip the old coating, and re-plate with a new coat.
In any event the refinished nickel looked like a factory new gun.

I doubt Colt has changed significantly from that standard of quality.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is a different question on nickel, but I have a SAA that the nickel has worn through on the front of the cylinder face. Is this normal? I know that this area is a very hostile environment, but I still don't like the nickel burning through.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,887 Posts
It's normal.

Look at nickel plating like it's a coat of paint over a coat of primer, (nickel over copper in this case).

The barrel/cylinder gap of a revolver isn't the "nickel friendliest" place there is.

The blast of super heated gas and metal particles literally blast the nickel loose, in tiny flakes.
Eventually, the plating gets worn looking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts