Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The king cobra I have is the bead blasted or duller than the very shiny stainless. Is it possible to hand polish using mother's to make it shine more? Just dont want to ruin finish. Thank yall!!!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Many will consider polishing a finish to bright as altering it and subsequently decrease its value. However if resale is not a consideration have at it and yes it will shine with enough elbow grease.

·
Banned
6 Posts
I purchased a new 3" King Cobra (KC) about a year ago that was mirror-polished, which I paid 'dearly' for, and I was so impressed with it, I purchased another 'plain' stainless steel one, and polished it to a mirror finish myself. I am now doing the same with a new 4.25" Python.

I can honestly say that my own results on the 2nd KC are as good as the professionally polished one, but to do it right, you'll need more than Mother's aluminum polish. And if you're my age (over 60), you'll want a healthy supply of NSAID (anti-inflammatory) meds too! 😂

Here's a brief list of what I ended up needing:

1) Standard garage bench grinder, equipped with buffing wheels rather than grinding stones.

2) Mother's Aluminum Polish (paste).

3) An assortment of 320-1500 grit sandpaper to address those areas with deeper flaws in the surface, where the Mother's paste won't be sufficiently abrasive (typically the side plates).

4) Dremel tool with miniature buffing wheels for the difficult to reach spots (hammer, trigger, trigger guard, etc.).

5) Gunsmith's magnetic tipped screwdriver set.

6) About 6-10 hours of free time on your hands.

Good luck! (y)

·
Banned
6 Posts
Iwas, can you post some photos?
Yup. I'd be happy to, but I haven't even taken any photos of either one of the three firearms, so it'll be this weekend before I can get around to doing so, and to be clear, the Python isn't done yet - it's still being polished.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Easiest way to make it shine like Chrome is Mothers Billet. Makes the others look like sandpaper lol. Used it on my motorcycles that I would show. Is very easy to use and I have used just about everyone out there.

Just know that as stated above the resale will be impacted.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The king cobra I have is the bead blasted or duller than the very shiny stainless. Is it possible to hand polish using mother's to make it shine more? Just dont want to ruin finish. Thank yall!!!
If you want a bit of a shine on that finish, I recommend a Cape Cod Polish Cloth. I have used it on some watches i own to just add a bit of shine. I did it to mu new Colt Cobra and it brought out a nice shine without being 'blingy'! It also makes it smell like vanilla, but that goes away, lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
. . .
I did it to my new Colt Cobra and it brought out a nice shine without being 'blingy'! It also makes it smell like vanilla, but that goes away, lol.
Yeah, it's important for others to note that the level of shine from so-called "mirror polishing" is in-fact very "blingy", almost to the extreme! In fact, I've got an old school friend that gives me a bad time over mine every time he sees it! He jokingly says the extreme shine is likely to be detected earlier than most, and that I'm likely to get killed by some super attentive quick-draw artist that saw the flash of the chrome! 😂

·
Registered
58 Posts
Many will consider polishing a finish to bright as altering it and subsequently decrease its value. However if resale is not a consideration have at it and yes it will shine with enough elbow grease.
It's true! I see this assertion all the time, where folks claim that "mirror" polishing will somehow diminish the resale value, and I suspect that a select group of buyers (e.g., collectors), would agree, yet I find it a bit ironic that a mirror polished Python or King Cobra will cost you roughly 'double' what a stock (OEM) version of the same model will. Example: A stock $800 KC will typically cost $1400-$1500 once its been mirror polished.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Whoever is selling the aftermarket polishing is adding in the cost of their effort to polish it plus a little vigorish on top of that. That doesn't mean others are actually paying for that. A collector will not...a shooter might or someone who simply likes shiny baubles. Much also depends upon the quality of the polishing...whether the markings are left sharp or suffered from the effort and whether edges and screw holes are dished and softened.

If the polishing isn't equal to what Colt can do...no way is it gonna bring extra bucks unless someone buys it on a whim and doesn't know different. As always....caveat emptor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If the polishing isn't equal to what Colt can do...no way is it gonna bring extra bucks unless someone buys it on a whim and doesn't know different. As always....caveat emptor.
The mirror polishing process that I've been referring to here is done more often than not by a professional outfit in Florida somewheres, and its 'vastly' superior to anything currently being done by Colt. There is simply no meaningful comparison to be made between the two. And yes, they certainly do charge for that service.

Personally, I've never used their services, but I have purchased a firearm that they had been previously commissioned to polish, and you'd be hard-pressed to find any divots, blemishes or dished and softened edges or screw holes. Moreover, I was perfectly happy to pay the added premium on that one occasion, as I am not a "collector" or "investor", and because I have since attempted such polishing myself (on other Colt and Ruger revolvers), and it is straight-up, a god-awful amount of work!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Iwas, can you post some photos?
O.K., so, here we go!

Unfortunately, lighting for photos of mirror-polished firearms can be awfully dicey, and cell phone cameras aren't always the best either, so I apologize if the following photos don't help to clarify much, but it's the best I could do.

This is an array of thumbnail photos of my three Colt revolvers. One of them is a new 2020 Python, which came with the routine (OEM) Colt, semi-polished stainless steel finish, and that piece is still in progress, in terms of owner polishing to a mirror finish. There is MUCH polishing left to be done on that particular revolver.

The other two are my identical (and fully finished) 3" King Cobras, one of which was professionally polished prior to purchase (serial #210xxx), while the other (#220xxx), was owner polished shortly after purchase, by me.

If looking at the photos carefully, you can plainly see that the clarity and overall quality of the finish on the two KC's is virtually identical. One of them (#210xxx), which was the professionally polished piece, still needs a bit of work, particularly on the crane and near the top of the barrel, but otherwise, they are both nearly flawless.

Conversely, if you look very closely at the Python, you can clearly see (even though its already had 'some' polishing done it), minor but extensive pitting and some hairline spider-webbing inherent to the metal itself. This is particularly prevalent on the two opposing side plate areas, and can never be addressed by a 'polishing' wheel alone - it will require a relatively aggressive sandpaper treatment (i.e., 320 to 600 to 1000 grit), followed by polishing paste with buffing wheel.

Anyway, I hope this added information helps!

1595096459504_20200718_120426.jpg 20200718_121529.jpg 20200718_120739.jpg 20200718_121441.jpg 20200718_120830.jpg 20200718_120724.jpg 20200718_120553.jpg 20200718_120440.jpg 20200718_120733.jpg 1595096473253_20200718_120451.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Whoever is selling the aftermarket polishing is adding in the cost of their effort to polish it plus a little vigorish on top of that. That doesn't mean others are actually paying for that. A collector will not...a shooter might or someone who simply likes shiny baubles. Much also depends upon the quality of the polishing...whether the markings are left sharp or suffered from the effort and whether edges and screw holes are dished and softened.

vigorish ? Ha had not heard that since many, many years ago watching my friend at a high stakes poker game! Nice ring to it!
Semper Fi

paul

1 - 14 of 14 Posts