Colt Forum banner

Best Colt Python Era

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to Colt Python collecting - ok, I have one (1969 4" Nickel in excellent condition) and am amazed at the craftsmanship for a hand made work of art.

Which "era" does the community favor for: Collectability, shootability, craftsmanship, fit/finish, Best Looking Grips, best box if it matters etc.

A: 1955 to mid-60's
B: Mid-60's to Late 60's
C: Late 60's to Early 70's (73, 74)
D: Early 70's to Late 80's
E: 1990 to 2003

My pick: B as I really like the second gen grips.

Thoughts! Looking for my 2nd python and need some guidance.
Thanks!

Kraaaken

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Mine 6-inch blue Python is from 1978, same year as we married but I voted for the early guns. I like the polish job on them better, the hollow lug feature, and the gorgeous fully checkered stocks. Wish I had thought to get one before the prices on the '50s Pythons accelerated into the stratosphere.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I'm going to be Brash and Ruffle some feathers and say anyone who votes other than "A" is only because they haven't held one to compare to the others!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I feel the early 60's guns do not give up much (if any) to the 50's guns. While I don't own a '55 or '56 I do have a couple from '57 and '58.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I once had a '59 gun. Shooter grade only because a PD had engraved an evidence number inside the cylinder window (at least you couldn't see it with the action closed). I've never had a Python that compared. I wish I'd kept it, but I sold it to buy something else before I became quite as enamored with Colts as I am now.

It was my first Python and I've not had a chance to buy another of its like - basically a new, but shooter grade gun with correct stocks! Paid $600 OTD in a pawn shop for it - a few or more years back. :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Meh...bought mine new in 1993. Still have it and I dont need to feel any other years! Feels the same as the 1978 i bought new too.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I agree with oberon , the four I have run from 68 thru 84. I have never even held one of the 50,s models, I find it hard to believe that they are alot better maybe a little. I may never know.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The best Python for collecting or owning is the one you have!!!! My 1976 4" is outstanding !! It has some holster wear supposedly as a carry for a Georgia Trooper, it was also shot in competition. She is beautiful, got a set of original Colt gen 2 with the Swaprat refinish, life could not be better !

·
Registered
737 Posts
My '63-'64 model 4" saw 2 tours in Viet Nam,if you could see it you wouldn't believe it saw any thing worse than maybe a year in a patrol car.However, I have to go with Keystone, I was lucky to own #447 some years back and it made my '60s look bad!.#447 was a 6"and pristine with six rounds fired through it. I got it from the original owner who was in his upper 80 s. I wanted a 6" when I bought my 4" in Oakland CA.[I was on my way to V.N.by troop ship,ugh!] Couldn't find a 6" prior to sailing time. I never shot #447 because it was a very highly conditioned collectible so, I sold it to a collector and never did get a 6" after. Mores the pity! Nick

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I think Dfariswheel put it best (me paraphrasing because my memory isnt the greatest), you could have a dog from the very first ones or could have a one of the BEST during the "strike years" in the 80's. I will say I have never owned one from the 1950's. It has always eluded me and now for me to spend that type of money, it would have to be original boxed and at least 99%/+. I'm not in a hurry to get one like I was and have turned my attention to other areas, which is a common thing I do from time to time. I have owned many (and still do some) from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and the Elites. I examine all I've owned very closely and test the actions, even my NIB ones. I have fired quite a few Pythons from these various years also, never any NIB ones though. I bought and traded for 98% to Mint guns without boxes looking for that 357 magnum "tack driver" which I never found sadly to say. I have to stick with Smiths for this. As far as looks-mainly because of those AWESOME Full Checkered's, collectability, investment potential, and so on, the Full Checkered 50's would have to be the best imo. However I cannot vote for one which I've never owned and examined. Out of the ones I've owned, the best overall have been the 70's and the early 90's mainly because of action/lock-up. I've seen MANY "NIB" Pythons which did not have the "Bank Vault Lockup". Overall the 80's have been the worst for me for sure, but there are still some great guns in there. I would no doubt vote for 1974 to 1979 if it were by itself, I like the 3rd Gen stocks much better than the 2nd's, just my personal preference, because all I've had have been GREAT. But since that includes the 80's, I will vote for the 90's-also since its not getting any love lol. Those are some great guns, also some of the very last ones were really good too jmho:).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts