Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, and to Colt .38's. Seem to be accumulating D-frame Colts. Newest is a late production PPS with a 4-inch non-tappered barrel, with shroud for ejector rod and ramp front sight. It says "Police Positive" above ".38 Special" but not Police Positive Special. So, other than markings, how does this differ from the Official Police? Why did Colt make them both for a long time?

Bart Noir

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Your PP sounds like the model they re-introduced back to the market on 1994.
As you know the PP was built on a D-frame while the OP was much larger and built on the I and J-frames. They both were very popular guns and filled the slots as police revolvers for many years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know what frame was used for Official Police, thought it was also a D-frame, so that answers my question of why the PPS was produced at the same time. Mine is a D, shares grips with Det. Special. Did any version of the D-frame ever get more modern lockwork and parts, like Mark III? Thanks.

Bart Noir

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Colt updated the Detective Special in 1995 with the new style lockwork. I think they first named it the SF-VI, then came out with the DS II.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think Dick is right about the 2 models being made in only SS.
Finding one may not be an easy job. They were only made for a few years and I've seen very few show back up on the market.
Good luck.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
As above the SF frame guns (the SF-VI, the DS II, and the Magnum Carry) were only available in stainless.

Apparently there WAS some discussion at Colt about a blued SF-based DIAMONDBACK-type gun in .22LR, but things went South before anything definite could be done.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Majic may chime in here later, but I recall the SF-VI and the DS-II were both in stainless only. But I could be wrong. Dick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts