Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I thought I had found a real diamond that I was going to be able to pick up at a super price but alas, I wasn't the only one looking. :)

It was an obscure online auction with mostly fishing baits and equipment and some boating stuff but stuck right in the middle of it was what I believe to be a factory engraved "A" class (the sparsest) nickel model 1908 380 auto with colt medallion pearls. I believe the born date was 1930. From the photos I saw no wear or missing nickel at all. I had put in a prebid of $600 and a max bid of $1200.....and as auctioners are apt to do they tried to start the bidding at $1,000 with no takers and it dropped down to my prebid of $600 and it was quickly above my max of $1200 so I kept going tit for tat against an onsite bidder and I got out when it hit $2700 and he took it home for $2700 plus $405 worth of buyer's premium.

It was a beauty but apparently it was only me online and the guy onsite bidding and it apparently was only the 2 of us bidding when it hit the $1400 or so mark so we both moved it up quite a ways together.

I've seen some of the major auction houses sell them in blue finish and "B" grade engraving that were nice for the $6000 to $8000 range but was wondering if anyone here has any firsthand knowledge of what this one might have been worth according to the colt auto collecting market? I'm mainly a prewar single action guy but the gun looked so nice I wanted to own it but maybe I didn't want to own it enough? :)

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
With a factory letter on the engraving and pearls I think there was still plenty of room to bid. Without a letter I think you were close to the top but there was still room. Was the finish blued or nickled?

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With a factory letter on the engraving and pearls I think there was still plenty of room to bid. Without a letter I think you were close to the top but there was still room. Was the finish blued or nickled?
It was nickel with the sparsest engraving.....just a few scrolls and outline engraving around the patent dates.....it also had what looked like 3 initials that may have been factory......but like most of these foolish auction houses they take pictures from about 3 to 4 foot away and it's hard even when you blow them up to see everything.
No factory letter.....even though I "think" I know what Glahn engraving looks like, at $3000+ there was certainly a loss looming if I was wrong.

I resized the pictures and lost some of the sharpness but here it "was". Notice the left hand side grip is flaked up near the top.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I recently had this one executed, a copy of a factory Helfrect pictured in Dr. Brunners book then silver plated. I know what I will be asking if I decide to let it go down the road.
IMG_1146.jpg IMG_1145.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
It was nickel with the sparsest engraving.....just a few scrolls and outline engraving around the patent dates.....it also had what looked like 3 initials that may have been factory
This Colt is factory engraved and factory inscribed. It letters Pearl/Nickel/Eng(3)+Monogram (M.C.L.) on left side. It shipped 4/3/1928.

Sam

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you know that gun Sam? It was a little obscure auction I thought!

Where do you find the values to be on goodies like it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts