Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know of a place to get a rampant colt restamped on a Python frame? I came apon several that, along with considerable handling marks are also sporting police department scribe marks that are not deep but once they are buffed out the little ponies are gonna be faint. I have read here and there about engraving just not looking the same but can't seem to find anyone that has the capabilities to restamp them. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Does Colt stamp it?? I thought they said they engrave the markings now when they redo them. Or it that just the barrel markings and such?? You could check with Turnbull and/or Fords.

·
Premium Member
9,818 Posts
Brent told me at the 2012 SHOT Show that Colt has NO original stamps of any kind. When markings become faint due to polishing, they are improved by engraving. Engraving, of course, does not look original. Another reason to almost NEVER refinish.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
This has nothing to do w/re-stamping the rampant colt,a week or two ago I posted elsewhere on this site about the "rocking horse" rampant colt on the SA & it was either overlooked or nobody was interested,my question was do any of you own one of these or have you ever seen one?They are very scarce,I own one & I know only 3 other people that have one,they were only made for the 1st part of 1913 & dis-continued by mid 1913.To me it would be very informative to see if anyone else on this board has one,they are very rare & if you have one you've got an expensive Colt.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
I have never had a 'pony only' job done, mine were replacement of all markings on automatic slides. I've used Turnbull & tried Ford & two others. Only Turnbull did it right - by physical impression into the surface. The others either used laser or mechanical roto-graver - they can look nice but don't look original or exactly right. This might be the place to mention that with physical impression, the displaced metal is raised around the impression. You see this on some older Colts. You can specify leave it on or take it off.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Gun stamps of many kinds are available on order. I ordered a .36 CAL stamp for a Colt restoration job. No problem, its stamping looks the same as originals. If what you want is not in stock, you can have it made. I had my Trade Mark logo (3 letters) made from a drawing I furnished.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.