Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a few DA colt wheelguns, I have noticed a few have the pony on the side plate stamped in atleast 4 different positions. Is there any significance or explanation for this? I realize there are size differences between certain models, but this seems odd to me.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Did you ever try to make a rampant colt stay in one place? Seriously, I looked through Colt An American Legend and TBOCF, but there is no insight. CAAL has some references to the background and first usage, but that's all. In TBOCF,you can see that on the earlier guns (generally pre OP) with the colt in a circle, it was placed to the back of the sideplate directly above the stocks. As of the OP, it appears more on a line between the latch and the stocks although the Courier and OMs seem to be an exception. I do believe that I too have seen it wander around a bit on various guns on auction vs the book pictures. The Markings topic in TBOCF describes it variously as above the grips, on the sideplate and on the left side of frame. But, you knew all that and I haven't answered your question. Perhaps it was just the whim of the designer at the time and became somewhat standardized because "that's where it goes". Or, we could make up a really neat story because nobody else knows any better. :cool:

·
Registered
794 Posts
I asked a question a couple years back about the Pony but got no responses. I have noticed from examining a number of my guns using a magnifying glass, that there are different stampings of the Pony. Subtle differences in the tail, arrows, mane, etc. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but I have, and am still curious as the the specific differences and when these changes were implemented.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
It could be as simple as randomly when tooling wore, it was replaced by ordering with drawings or specs that were such that they didn't preclude subtle differences. It could be interesting to start with pictures of some variations, though. Another good excuse to take pics of the guns or parts of them.

:cool:

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
I know that the colt on my 1954 Trooper .22 is more slender than the colt on the guns of the later 60's and up to lately.

I suspect where the colt was placed, and the actual design seems to have changed with the various models.

As per A1A, it seems to be where someone decided it should be.

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
About all I have noticed in the way of predictable placement is that the Rampant Colt is placed further forward on those models leaving the factory with oversize target stocks so that it will not be hidden by the stocks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts