Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Man\'s Colt Collection?

Here's a new wrinkle for ya'll ... Contributions welcome! The weather's been warm and breezy on the high plains and my impromptu-picnic-table-gun-club has reconveined. Here's our latest ... (Remember, not necessarily MY views - just talk.) Seeing how none of us - in this club - can ever HOPE to have all the guns we'd like to have and all of us actually use the guns we DO have for target shooting, self-defense, nonsense plinking and just, "to have and to hold," what could be better than a small collection of, "Colt .45's!" Our consensus was these are among the BEST handguns ever made and probably the most famous and sought-after. Most of the guys agreed there should be two guns - a Single Action Army and a 1911 GI gun, in some form. I wanted to include a 2X New Service or some such, as well. My question is, "OK. If we assume we go this way, WHICH SA army do we want and which 1911? And, perhaps, which 1909 or similar revolver? I'm thinking we'd have to go with a clone of the cavalry 45 - like the Cimarron, simply because of price, one of the new 1911 or 1911A1 GI re-issues and a .45 ACP 2X revolver. I'd like to hear some thoughts, brothers? Over?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: Poor Man\'s Colt Collection?

Clones don't count. Start with a current manufactured Colt SSA (45 LC) and get yourself a nice 70's Series 1911. You can sometimes buy the commerative guns at reduced prices since they are not generally as desireable.

·
Registered
254 Posts

My small colt collection took a differant twist
1 anaconda 4in
2 python 4in
3 diamondback 4in
4 det special 2nd issue

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yes, 22 rf - some of us howled over the clones, too. But, not having the price of either at the moment, I bow to, "money talks." How did you settle on the series 70? Mr. Kennedy's collection sounds delightful for a Saturday afternoon at the range or anything we could want our pistols to do. I thought about, like say, a 357, an OP, a Python and a OMM or OMS but they're pretty closely related for much diversity. I guess what we're doing is what I try to do with my Lionel trains - any darn fool with a money tree can have a marvelous collection just as anyone with the price can hire a Broadway set designer to come build him a train layout. (Which people actually do, by the way!) But try to make something truly interesting and even artistic on my salary is a genuine challenge. Just like collecting a few guns that are interesting on the range or at a cocktail party. I'm told Liberace collected grand pianos - but I guess he could afford it!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

RC: Since it is a Colt forum, I thought I would stick with Colts. But, the Ruger Vaquero is quite good and are very popular with the cowboy shooting groups. ...the 1911, I simply went with the more recent collectable 1911 to start with. I have no special attaction to them.

Frankly, I went the route of Kenddy with the following guns to begin my collection as I am a revolver guy: (1) Diamondback revolver, (2) Python, and then a bunch of non-colts. These were guns I shot. If I were starting today, I would get the previously mentioned guns, a little Colt Auto 22, then a 38spl Det Spl or DSII, and and perhaps an Anaconda 44 (if you like hand cannons) if I was sticking with Colts. Since I like 22's, the Officers Model Match rates very high on my list as does the Trooper, especially the 357 model. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

I know this isn't what you want to hear ($$$ wise), but I occasionally see 2nd generation SAA for $700 to $800. Not cheap by no means, but a good price for a genuine SAA.
I think the early 1991s can be found at decent prices to fill the 1911 bill.
The Brazilian 1917 can be sometimes found at good prices. I occasionally run across a finish worn 1917 that's mechanically sound for decent prices.
The trick is to be patient and keep a sharp eye on all possible avenues for them.

·
Registered
117 Posts

I found a 1917 vintage 1911. If you're looking for a shooter, I'd look for rebuild or a mismatch with USGI parts.

Haven't found an SAA, yet. I don't know enough not to get took. I want to find an ugly 44-40 with good mechanicals. Maybe 30% externally.

1917's or a NS aren't too hard to find, reasonably.

Brian

·
Registered
42 Posts

Well the question is a sound one,the answers so far are reasonable.Must add a note or two.My own assortment is as follows; 1 1917 in 45 Acp,1 1917 in 455-45 Colt,1 1911 Lighweight Commander in 45 Acp, 1 Rexio combo 45 Colt-.410 shotgun,1 Colt SAA in 44-40,1 S&W #3 in 44-40,1 Schofield in 45 S&W,1 Hartford SAA in 45 COLT,1 NEW Vaquero [the latest]in 45 Colt,1 old model 1894 Marlin in 45 Colt.from there it drops into the 38 cals.so won't go further.I guess it will cover just about any situation I'm likely to face.ONE BIG PROBLEM, how the heck to carry all of them when needed.Could it be possible that I have too many??My wife thinks so..What say you??modoc

------------------
Keep your powder dry,but not hot.
Guns are for Gunners

1 - 8 of 8 Posts