Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ported Python\'s

I recently received confirmation that Colt sent a number of their barrels to MagaPort to be ported in years past. Upon return receipt they were assembled and exited via the Custom Shop...

That being said, my question is this... Should the Ported Python bring a higher value to the table??? How often have you came across one??? Is it a Sleeper like the Target was until recently???

What are your opinions???
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
84 Posts
Re: Ported Python\'s

I would say yes.

I would say they most likly where sold through there custom shop not as a regular gun through a dealer. I'm just guessing on this but it would make sence. Even if it went through a dealer I doubt it would have been sold as a stock gun.

Just my thoughts for what there worth /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,693 Posts

Value depends on whether the gun will letter as a genuine Colt Custom Shop item.

Unless it letters, it's just an altered Python, and value depends on whether the buyer wants a ported Python or whether he thinks it's just a non-standard gun and hates ports.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Unless it letters, it's just an altered Python, and value depends on whether the buyer wants a ported Python or whether he thinks it's just a non-standard gun and hates ports.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree 100%.
There's people that tend to hate ported guns and would never own a ported gun no matter what kind or color it is.
There's a lot of guns out there or variations out there in the gun would that SHOULD demand a premium. But, if the rest of the collector world does not take notice of these variations, no matter how much a select few believe that a particular gun is more RARE or harder to find than another, it will never bring a premium no matter how hard you try to convince the rest of the world.
In collecting, there's always things that don't make sense.
There tends to always be an item that there always seems to be a lot of, yet that item brings more money just because people know that item.
Then there's the other side of the coin. There's always an item that was very low production and actually very hard to come by that never demands a premium. Only because the rest of the world is not familiar with it and does not recognize it to make it a higher value on the food chain.
Now, if you took that ported Python and were able to get an article in some of the gun magazines saying that it's a very rare factory option. You may be able to change the collectible status of that option. Only because now the rest of the world may stand up and take notice of it and collectors would need one to fill a whole in their collection that they didn't know existed.
Does this make sense ?
It did in my tiny little brain while typing it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
188 Posts

I came across a bicentennial Python at a show (the rest of the set was not there) that had been ported and well worn. I would have bought it just to have the uniqueness of a bicentennial as a shooter, but the seller seemed to think porting it made it worth double, instead of less. Sad thing to do to a bicentennial.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Ya that is true, what one person likes others hate. It comes down to finding the right buyer at the right time.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

[ QUOTE ]
My question is this... Should the Ported Python bring a higher value to the table??? How often have you came across one??? Is it a Sleeper???

[/ QUOTE ]

It's no secret that the "Ports" are currently frowned upon in general... Now, for the sake of argument, lets say that Colt verifies the gun is original (came ported from them and will letter)... Looking down the road, and meeting this criteria, it makes since to me that it is currently a sleeper and could become a hot item...

Just recently the often frowned upon 38 special 8" target was treated like an ex-wife... We just recently witnessed a pair sell for $5,000.00 NIB...

That's my logic... I am currently seeking a quality port for the speculation... If I'm wrong then so be it, it will certainly resell to a shooter...

Whether you like them or not, I would like your speculation pertaining to their future as a collectible???

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

I guess my comment on the comparison would be that the 8" Target was a cataloged model, although not popular, and no more will be created (true factory original). Porting, on the other hand, is a custom procedure which still can be done, probably through the Colt custom shop, to any existing Python or other model. I think that means I wouldn't expect it to be generally more collectible, again other than to those who are looking for a ported gun for the sake of. JMO /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
991 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Just recently the often frowned upon 38 special 8" target was treated like an ex-wife... We just recently witnessed a pair sell for $5,000.00 NIB...

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa! Was this an auction or just a straight up asking price? Think I saw these and they weren't even consecutive serial numbers. I've got a set NIB nickel & blue. Nice to know they're moving up.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Could the ported barrels be the ones used on the Grizzly?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts

Subject :Target Python
Muzzle wear, chipped grips/stocks and terrible pictures won't usually sell a python for big bucks.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts