Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a possible purchase. These are the only pics I have from the seller as of now and I know they are not the best.

I know the grips are not correct but is there anything that stands out that points to not original other than grips? Also on these 2 gens, how does one tell that it has not been re-barreled? Is there matching numbers or partial numbers on the loading gate, cylinder and or barrel?

2nd gen serial number 196XXSA shows 1958

Thanks

saa2.jpg saa1.jpg

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I see nothing wrong with it from the photos provided. There will be no numbers on the barrel. About the only way to tell if it has been rebarreled would be to check the fit of the ejector housing to the frame....there should be no gap. Possibly also look at the breech end of the barrel and see if it shows circular tool marks or straight across file marks. A properly installed barrel will have no gap at the housing to frame and will have had the cylinder to barrel gap set by turning on a lathe (circular tool marks) and not done with a file (cross-ways tool marks). The cylinder should be numbered on the front face with the last three digits of the serial number OR numbered with the assembly number that would match the loading gate assembly number. Both methods were used early on. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you the responses. I was told by the seller that the cylinder number does not match the serial number. Waiting to hear back if the loading gate and cylinder bin numbers match. The numbers match on the rest of the gun.

is it safe to assume that if the bin numbers do not match or the cylinder number is not the last three of the serial number, it has the possibility of being re-chambered/ re- barreled?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Yes!

2nd gens: used bin # on loading gate and back right side of frame under grip.

2nd gen cyls: Early 2nds used bin # on cyl. (matching loading gate and frame bin #) until 1958. Then, last 3 or 4 digits of S/N used on front of cyl. Pony on rear face of cyl (and on hammer base).

Mid serial range .357 cyls added an M in front of the full 5 s/n digits on front face of cyl. Late issues dropped the M and no longer used entire s/n. And many mid range 44 Spl cyls are also known with entire 5 digit s/n. Early on and thru the mid range, this was originally to tell assemblers at a glance that they were not 38 Spl or 45 cyls, respectively.

Photos are not good enough to tell much.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Action screws appear original and undamaged with the correct 'brushed' blue finish.

Gun desperately needs those cheap plastic stocks replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts