Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time in a while my local gun show has turned Colt. Over the last couple of years have been seeing fewer and fewer Colts being sold, primarily revolvers. Today I came across a number of private sellers unloadeing some of their goods for my benefit. I have already picked up a Mint Condition Commando and a good condition 1st issue Cobra. I came across a 1975 Blued Python 4" barrel. I would call it near mint condition, with finish about 90-95% except for a few very small scratches around the hammer. Those are the goods. The bads are, no box, original grips are not with it but Colt faux pearl grips instead. Lastly the cylinder slide has turned a plumb color and is lighter than the rest of the blue. The seller seems to be firm on $1500. I almost bit the bullet and bought it but my senses got the better of me and I wanted to check with the forum. It would be my first Python to add to a fast growing collection. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I would pass at that price considering the "toilet seat grips". A Python similar to your description would be $1500 at best with original grips. Of course just my .02 cents.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,090 Posts
If by "cylinder slide" you mean the cylinder release latch piece, these are often a plum color on blued Pythons.
We don't know the reason why, best guess is that Colt had these made by an outside contractor and either the metal itself was prone to plum colors when blued, or their bluing process was not under correct control.

These days that sounds like a slightly to medium high price.
In a few months, at the current trends, it'll probably be a steal.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I have a pile of them sitting on the shelf with factory original grips that if I got $1k out of them, I would be good!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well so far, opinions seem to agree. I didn't have a particularly good feeling about the price and scenario, but almost made an impulse buy. I may try to make a reasonable offer, but may offend him. Still pretty happy about the other pick-ups. Paid $470 for the Commando and $360 for the Cobra. Feel pretty good about those buys. I plan on posting pics as soon as possible. Thought, what would be a reasonable price on the aforementioned Python. I was thinking $800-900?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can do better for that money, easily. IMOP
I agree, I was also looking at a 70's series satin nickel 1911. I think I will let the Python pass and move on for greener pastures. Thanks for all the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts