Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1911 serial number 216XXX, I checked online and found that serial was assigned to Remington Rand production for 1945. The slide on this pistol however is a Colt 22 Conversion slide. The grips are brownish black plastic with a Colt pony on it. The mainspring housing is flat. This is not my pistol but a coworkers, I am assuming the gun originally had a Remington slide, an arched ms housing, and different grips. He wants it back to 45ACP configuration. Here are my questions: 1. Is the serial number data base correct and thus this pistol originally had a Remington slide? 2. Did Colt ever take these frames either from Remington or in house and put their own conversion unit on them (ie: could this pistol be in the factory configuration now)? 3. If it was Remington, how difficult/expensive is it to find a correct slide? 4. What is the value of the conversion unit if he wants to sell it to recoup expenses? 5. Any other Remington specific parts for it (barrel...bushing...etc)? 6. If he isnt into the collecting of it and thus making it original, can any Colt slide, bushing, barrel, be installed on this frame? I cant show photos right now as I am not at my home computer. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I can only speak about the Colt .22 Conversion Unit. I follow these on the auction sites and the nice condition Post War versions seem to be currently selling in the $400 range without box but with the correct #2 slide stop. Pre War numbered versions are significantly more. Pic's are a necessity to figure out what he has and what it's worth.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
He can put all the Remington-Rand stuff on it that he wants to, but it'll never be original - it'll just be put-together.

Colt did 'not' appropriate other-than factory frames and install Conversion Units - just didn't happen, no matter how much someone would like for it to be true.

It's just a GI frame with the conversion unit - put together to shoot, and 'probably' put together back when GI pistols were cheap, and well before the aftermarket frames came to be.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He can put all the Remington-Rand stuff on it that he wants to, but it'll never be original - it'll just be put-together.
Agreed its only original once, but it would be 'period correct' for the serial.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
the serial number you posted is not repeat is not from 1945. you might be missing a digit , but 216xxx is not from 1945

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You are not reading it correctly. 216xxxx would be a Remington Rand, but 216xxx would not.
Oh my you are correct!!! My bad! Jeeeshhh!!!! I am REALLY getting old!!! Can I claim a defense here? I am taking care of my elderly Mother and have been in a state of sleepless exhaustion for awhile. In any case you are so right and this means it is a Colt. The questions remain tho....if he wants to make it period correct he would need a Colt slide and barrel from that era.

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
More than likely the slide stop is the one that came with the conversion unit, and he would need a 1911 style slide stop. The original stocks would be checkered wood with a large diamond around the screw heads. Then there are barrel markings, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Oh my you are correct!!! My bad! Jeeeshhh!!!! I am REALLY getting old!!! Can I claim a defense here? I am taking care of my elderly Mother and have been in a state of sleepless exhaustion for awhile. In any case you are so right and this means it is a Colt. The questions remain tho....if he wants to make it period correct he would need a Colt slide and barrel from that era.
dandak,

So,...it is a COLT No 216XXX. ?

Some find COLT Pistols in the Range 216000 - 216999 interesting.

Clawson has the 800 1917 M1911 COLT Pistols in the range (ITR) 215387 - 216186 as shipped to the USMC. The 400 1917 M1911 COLT Pistols ITR 216187 - 216586 shipped to the Army (transferred from USMC). The 400 1917 M1911 COLT Pistols ITR 216587 - 216986 shipped to the USMC. And the 400 1918 M1911 COLT Pistols ITR 216987 - 217386 shipped to the USMC. Is it a USMC Pistol !?

Most likely, many believe that many of the M1911 USMC Pistols are no longer Original (most were heavily used). So,...it might be OK it make it "period correct". !

Best Regards,

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Read the above...

Unless original-finish parts with consistent wear patterns can be sourced - good luck with 'that' by the way - 'period correct' would consist of 'any' GI parts that would still make it serviceable - just like what would have happened at a Depot or Forward Ordnance battalion who refurbished small arms that had been salvaged.

It's 'not' going back in time to re-emerge as a bonafide M1911.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dandak,

So,...it is a COLT No 216XXX. ?

Some find COLT Pistols in the Range 216000 - 216999 interesting.

Clawson has the 800 1917 M1911 COLT Pistols in the range (ITR) 215387 - 216186 as shipped to the USMC. The 400 1917 M1911 COLT Pistols ITR 216187 - 216586 shipped to the Army (transferred from USMC). The 400 1917 M1911 COLT Pistols ITR 216587 - 216986 shipped to the USMC. And the 400 1918 M1911 COLT Pistols ITR 216987 - 217386 shipped to the USMC. Is it a USMC Pistol !?

Most likely, many believe that many of the M1911 USMC Pistols are no longer Original (most were heavily used). So,...it might be OK it make it "period correct". !

Best Regards,
Yes. I'd give the full serial number but its not mine so I am deferring to the owners preference of keeping it hidden. Its in the 216587-216986 range of the 400 shipped to the USMC in 1917.
He wants a shooter so I recommended getting a Colt slide and parts fitted as long as the frame is not monkeyed with, then if the bug hits to make it as it left the factory in 1917 (I am in the collector community of NOT worrying about every screw being perfectly correct) he can do so if a slide comes his way. I have found when rebuilding lever action Winchesters that eventually the parts show up. I had to wait 4 years for a round barrel for an 1886 Winchester with the correct lettering to match the serial range of my receiver. No its not the same barrel it left the factory with, but probably it was sitting next to it in the parts bin when it was assembled. I don't worry about such stuff unless it is truly a 'historical' gun. In any case, he gets his 'shooter' Colt 45 but the prospects of a rebuild are still available. He could sell the 22 conversion kit to help fund the rebuild. Thanks to all for their help with this!

·
Registered
92 Posts
The 216XXX series of numbers for Colt pistols begins with 216186 in 1917, and 216987 runs the series on into 1918.

Interestingly enough, numbers 215387-216186 and 216587-216986 were USMC pistols.

Just as an aside, I've never really understood this practice of X-ing out parts of the serial number and then asking for info about a gun. I know the reason(s) why people say they do it, but still...it really sort of limits the amount of info that can be accessed. Or at least that's how I see it. Opinions differ.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts