Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted elsewhere here my desire to buy a Colt. I prefer to be able to see and hold it before purchasing. I am totally new to Colts and would like your opinions on this firearm (assuming it will still be available). I saw this online for a local LGS.

Description:
Colt Officers Model (Second Issue) chambered in .38spl Serial# 4662XX. Features include a 6" barrel, adjustable rear & front sights, checkered back strap and diamond checkered walnut grips with inset Colt medallion. These grips were standard from 1908 to 1923. This is a true 98% plus condition revolver and will make a great addition to any collection.

Price is $1249.88

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Air gun
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Revolver Gun
Gun Revolver Trigger Air gun

It looks to be in really good shape but does the price seem right to those better informed than me?

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Those stocks are very early with the deep dish medallions. They are most likely not original to the gun. But they are very desired. The price is the very high end of the scale.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Agreed,high end of what I have seen although a very nice revolver nonetheless.Is it worth the asking price ? only you can answer that question. Their not in every gun store in the country and the quality will never be reproduced. You could probably find one on the various internet gun auctions but you w ill not be able to hold it and scrutinize it.And you will have shipping and transfer fees to account for.I would make an offer somewhat less than the asking price and find their bottom dollar. I got my 1947 OMT .22 by doing just that.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,950 Posts
I must dissagree with the other two posts. It is an early gun, 1922, and the stocks are correct for that year. The gun looks to be in very high end condition and I believe that the price is fair. These are on the rise and the prices will only continue to increase.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Agreed,high end of what I have seen although a very nice revolver nonetheless.Is it worth the asking price ? only you can answer that question. Their not in every gun store in the country and the quality will never be reproduced. You could probably find one on the various internet gun auctions but you w ill not be able to hold it and scrutinize it.And you will have shipping and transfer fees to account for.I would make an offer somewhat less than the asking price and find their bottom dollar. I got my 1947 OMT .22 by doing just that.
Other than buying little more than a parts gun, or only a gun for parts, at a bottom dollar price, I would never buy anything over the internet, so I agree with your sentiments. It is often difficult to determine if a gun is original or if it has been monkeyed with when you hold it and scrutinize it. It would be ever more difficult to do so over the internet.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Beautiful revolver... i have one from 1936 Bridgeport CT Police dept gun, it has hard rubber grips and the finish is not as nice as the one your showing us. I paid $750 for mine ten months ago.....yours is worth the premium and those grips are amazing these are going up in Value , over time you may say to yourself boy i sure wish i had purchased that revolver when it was available to me. I'd offer $1,150 to start.... good luck and let us know what happens and of course post some pics when you get it.

Marko

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
It's nice, but I would offer a lot less just to see if you can get it. You have to be willing to bluff, and they may call your bluff. I buy things ALL the time at 70% of the asking price though. Asking just a hundred bucks off proves you're desperate, and they'll say no, full price. Negotiation is a skill, but it's also about timing. How long have they had the gun....how quickly could you find a comparable gun for less, etc. I'd offer 950 or 1 grand, and see where that gets you. That's a lot of money for a Officer's Model, they made them for like 40 years. I pass on a lot of guns, when they are common and overpriced. All the hype about "they're only going to go up" is just speculation. If you want it bad, you pay the high price to get it locally. If you feel it's worth more like $800 (like I do), you wait.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I went and bought it today! It's a work of art that the pictures can't describe. I had a neighbor look it over. He's addicted to Colts like you guys. He said he would rate it at 99+% perfect condition. There is no slop whatsoever in the gun. Everything is tight. There looks to have been a smidgeon of corrosion around where the serial numbers are and the medallions show their age but that is it. I almost don't want to shoot it. I did pay the asking price of $1249.99.

Do the patent numbers on top of the barrel help in determining the birth date? They are from 1884,1900 and 1905. The serial number is #462248.

I want to thank everyone who replied to my post (both pro and con). I am extremely pleased with my purchase and have no regrets. The itch has been satisfied for now!

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
Well anyone that says they have never "over paid" for a gun has selective memory....or is really cheap :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think you made the right decision for you.....

I use the cost averaging method....sometimes you buy high and some times you don't :cool: :cool: :cool: RR

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, Radicalrod. I almost put that in my last post as a reminder to those who might've forgotten past purchases. I'm certainly not ready for Primetime yet but at least I know where to go for the best advice.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Well I'm pleased for you. That's an eye-popping example as far as may be seen in the photos. I've always loved the appearance of that style of stocks. I'd look right past a host of other handguns to admire that one if it was on a table full of handguns, old and new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.