Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a gun store today and saw a Colt Official Police. I have a couple of quick questions regarding this gun.

First off, it does not have the "figure eight" style crane screw set up, so I'm assuming this is the post war E frame??? or is it an I frame? No markings on the top of the barel, didn't see any patent dates, but it did have the early style Colt Pt Fa markings. I'm I correct in thinking that this would make it pre 1948? or was it a little later than that when the change went to Colt MFG.???

Also, it didn't have the correct stocks. Which would be the correct stocks for this era?

I've noticed that some O.P.'s appear to have a matt finish on the top strap. This one did not. Would that be correct for this vintage?

Non checkered latch.

It seemed mechanicly sound, but had a fair amount of wear.

Is this description consistant with an early post war O.P.?

Thanks,
Mike

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
Colt really didn't begin real manufacturing until 1947-48 after the war.

It sounds like you saw an early 1950's version.
Whether it was and "E" or an "I" depends on when it was actually produced.

Post war, up until the mid-50's the grips would have been a reddish-brown "Coltwood" plastic grip.
After that, the grips were Service style checkered walnut with silver medallions.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Some of the very first post-war OP's had the double crane lock from left over pre-war frames. Any single screw is post-war. Smooth latch was post-war. From '47 to about '57 a dual tone finish was used. Barrel legend reading: Colt's Mfg. Co., Hartford Ct. USA was used from '49 to about '55. '55 and later read: Colt's Pt. F. A. MFG. Co.

Very early post-war OP's had left over Commando stocks, solid brown plastic; followed by mottled plastic Coltwood.

It should have a matte topstrap; maybe it's been buffed and reblued.

A serial number will help pin it down. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunatly, I don't have the serial number handy as it's sitting at the gun shop. I'll see if I can get the serial number.

I'm a little confused on the Colt Pt F.A. Mfg markings. So these markings were used POST '55 as well as Pre War?
That's exactly the same as my Pre War Colt (Officers Model 3rd issue) reads on the barrel. I was assuming it was an early example as it didn't read Colt Mfg. Is it possible that this is a newer example of the O.P.?

Would a non duo tone, non checkered latch, Colt Pt F.A. Mfg., No Pattent dated marked Official Police be consitant with a newer version?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Here's the sequence:
1. Pre-war
COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO.
HARTFORD. CT. USA
WITH patent dates

2. 1949-ca. 1955
COLT'S MFG. CO.
HARTFORD CT. USA
WITHOUT patent dates

3. ca. 1955 onward
COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO.
HARTFORD, CONN. U.S.A.
WITHOUT patent dates

From what you say, your example is post 1957.
HTH

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for clearing that up. Now I'll have a much better idea of what I'm looking at when I go back to the store.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I went back to the shop to look at this OP agian. The serial number is 91xxxx putting it somwhere in the '66 to '67 range. Asked the dealer if he would remove the awful looking thumb rest target stocks so I could see if there was any pitting, rust etc. under the over sized stocks. Initialy he wouldn't, but eventualy I got him to remove the stocks. To my supprise, I see a round but set up. The revolver does not appear to have been reblued, so if this isn't factory someone did a very good job. Now here's the $20 question. Were O.P.'s of this vintage ever made with round buts? If so will Marshal stocks fit? If this is a gunsmith job, I'd imagane that custom stocks would have to be made, making the gun just not worth the agrivation.
What to you all think?

Thanks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hmm I have no idea how long the round butt option was carried by Colt's. It's my understanding that the majority of OP's with round butts were sold to NYPD in 1957. Yes the Marshal stocks would fit. But I understand that these stocks that fit the round butts are becoming very scarce.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts