Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may sell a few of my guns on Gun Broker in the future. Is there any danger in posting your phone number in the add. Since the guns I may sell are high dollar ( in my estimation any thing over a grand) I want the potential buyer to be able to ask questions and feel assured I am a reliable seller. I have bought a couple on the sight, but have never sold one. Getting up in age and need to move a few.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
I think it's no problem if you do list your number, and no problem if you don't.

It's a waste of mental energy to sit and worry if a scammer or crook has your phone number he might find some way to get your address and come over and rob you. Could it happen? Yes, remotely, but will it happen? Most probably not.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I suppose any personal information posted on the www can lead to abuse. If it's your home phone number people can do a "reverse look-up" and get your address. I don't think they can do that with a cell number.

Just to be safe you could say in your description "Contact me for my phone number if you want to talk."

John Gross

Reactions: gustmez1

·
Registered
38 Posts
You could say in your ad to contact you through email for a phone number if the potential buyer would like to discuss things further. Keeps things a little more secure, but lets the buyer know you're open to talking by phone if you don't want to publish your phone number to every user on Gunbroker.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
You must mean putting your number in the live ad? That would be your personal preference I guess. Not sure I would but I thought that when you signed up for Gunbroker a telephone number was required. I may be wrong.

When a deal is struck both parties have each other's number. I have called several buyers/sellers, after a successful transaction and it always results in a more positive feeling about the deal when talking to a live human being on the other end of the line. :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,961 Posts
I've seen numbers posted in live auctions...usually a business. I would be much more likely to bid/buy a gun if I got to talk to the seller beforehand. You run the chance of having your time wasted with "tire kickers" just browsing and/or caller trying to talk down the price and asking to sell it to them outside gunbroker, but that happens anyway with emails so I don't think it would hurt you if you did list a cell number

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
You must mean putting your number in the live ad? That would be your personal preference I guess. Not sure I would but I thought that when you signed up for Gunbroker a telephone number was required. I may be wrong.

When a deal is struck both parties have each other's number. I have called several buyers/sellers, after a successful transaction and it always results in a more positive feeling about the deal when talking to a live human being on the other end of the line. :cool:
A phone number is required for enrollment on Gunbroker. It is automatically visible to the winning individual when an auction is won, or if a seller chooses to manually type in their text when composing their ad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts