Colt Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've had Lever Action Bill rebuild two Colt hammers.

But if you are going cheap, price Pietta hammers. They should fit.

The pictures don't show the cam very well. Is it in good shape?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I would just drill out those frame holes, tap them and screw solid blanks into them I might even TIG them in, then drill them back to the correct size. I usually have Alan Harton rebuild my hammers but yours looks like a challenge. You'll have to ask him if it's fixable. I'd keep the barrel and put a new liner in it. Easy fix. Make a new lug for the ejector housing and silver solder it in. I'd bend that frame back into alignment too. Cut a 1/2-20 bolt to just fit into the frame, screw a nut on it and place it into the frame and unscrew the nut 'til it jacks the top strap up just enough. Or just send it to Alan, he can fix it. Won't be cheap though.
The problem is see with drilling out the frame holes and using solid blanks would be the color discoloration, and then finding the person to drill out the holes precisely. From what I have seen regarding prices, welding the frame could cost several hundreds of dollars. The action functions with the larger screws, except the full cock because of the broken hammer, and I think larger screws would be a less noticeable fix.

A previous owner has drilled a hole thru the end of the barrel when the ejector housing lug used to be and the hole goes into the rifling. I have been told it is essentially useless unless someone wanted to shorten it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I've had Lever Action Bill rebuild two Colt hammers.

But if you are going cheap, price Pietta hammers. They should fit.

The pictures don't show the cam very well. Is it in good shape?
Thanks, I don't mind paying up for the hammer since it is original to the gun. All the serial numbers match so I am trying to keep it to original parts if possible. Who ever did this knew what they were doing, but it's a shame they didn't use original screws. It would have saved a lot of heartache. The hammer screw appears to be an original, but they also filed it down for some reason, and I have ordered a replacement.

Yes, the cam functioned when I had the trigger and bolt in it. I have worked on Colt 1851's and Colt 1849's and the action is basically identical to a SAA. I have fitted bolts on both of those guns, so I am not sure why everyone seems to think that work is so complicated.

How do I get in contact with Lever Action Bill?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Relining your barrel would cover the hole and preserve the lettering. The only way to fix it I can see. It's easily fixable so definitely NOT useless.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Relining your barrel would cover the hole and preserve the lettering. The only way to fix it I can see. It's easily fixable so definitely NOT useless.
Thanks for the info, I would love to save the barrel if I could, without breaking the bank. The lettering on the top of the barrel is faint

The problem is finding someone to do it. Do you have any recommendations?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ask lever action Bill. Redman's makes the liners and I think installs them. A lot of smiths reline barrels, it's not hard. You just need to unscrew the barrel and put it in a lathe, bore it out and Loctite the new liner in. But changing the barrel is easier. A 41 barrel is the same size.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Just received the customer trigger and bolt screws, great work. The bolt spring was slightly shorter than the trigger spring. I found a hammer screw that was correct fit it.

My machinest made a total of four screws, two trigger and two bolt. Unfortunately my measurements were slightly off and only the trigger screw is the correct length. The heads of the screws are thicker than I the machine screws the previous owner used. I have asked him to make two more screws slightly longer than the tigger screw.

Since there is no finish on gun, I am going to do a light rust blue on the barrel, trigger guard and backstrap. I will probably leave the frame alone. Still need to have the barrel switched out and get the hammer and cylinder back, but this project is making progress.
20200803_154328.jpg
20200803_154337.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
Interesting to watch this project. When its done, you will have brought back another to be shot and enjoyed.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts