Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see if anyone has noticed any patterns in terms of prices for Legacy Colt Pythons.

Have the Legacy pythons gone up or down in value? I know many of us, myself included, wouldn’t want to sell our beloved pythons but I’m curious to see how the market is now that the newer ones are out.

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Just my observations but the Python market may be a bit roiled right now for several reasons...the new 2020 Python has an impact as many just want a Python and this new edition is less expensive than earlier examples...the current political impact of civil unrest and the upcoming election has artificially created a market where the hot items are pump-action shotguns with 18"-20" barrels and AR-15 type rifles...the kind of things that are cash and carry in probably most jurisdictions.

That being said...people who want Pythons will still look for and buy them. The online vendors are still selling the new Python for a fair amount over MSRP...people must be paying it or those prices would be coming down. That keeps legacy Python values up...not as much as several years ago when the snake craze was at its height.

Super condition legacy Pythons are still selling at pretty high levels and will probably continue to do so. Pythons are not rare but high condition examples are still bringing in the bucks. Shooter quality legacy Pythons are at more or less reasonable levels.

Reactions: Maxcustody

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Shooter grade Pythons pulled back and stabilized around 2016.
Some collector grade Pythons pulled back to a lesser degree, some did not......

The new production revolvers assembled at Colt , that have been named after previous revolvers,have not significantly affected prices of the originals.
Different buyer population....

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Corvettes over the years have shared the same name and lineage but are very different cars...but still Corvettes. Corvette guys have argued whether newer is better for years...and will continue to do so.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
The car analogy (particularly Corvette) that many like to use is a false analogy.

The Python, Cobra, and KC were all made to be top-quality revolvers for different purposes/price points, not made to be assembled by non-craftsmen, as cheaply as possible like the new production.

Colt has made it plain that they don't have the skilled workers, machinery, or capital to make the real items again.Arent they downsized to only 2 smiths in the Custom Shop.?
Note the non- stop quality problems reported here by buyers of the new production different revolvers.

On the other hand,The Corvette has 8 vastly different Generations, a Touring car to start, later a Muscle Car, later more of an increasingly powerful Sports Car.Same name, same iconic concept of 2WD and sexy body is all they have in common.

First 3 Gens Generally poorly made, made to last 3-5 years and buy another, rinse and repeat,like other US made vehicles of the time.However better made,longer lasting, and better performing , over C4-C7 models.

C8, dunno.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Kind of off topic but does anyone have a new and old python? Like many things theres the mentality "they don't make them like the use to" and the original is superior to the old. I would think in terms of repairs the newer ones are cheaper to repair than the old and I have heard that the new pythons are made stronger so they shoot more 357 magnums than the old. Curious if anyone has both and would want to share their own comparisons ( I have none do have a .22 officers model match).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Corvettes over the years have shared the same name and lineage but are very different cars...but still Corvettes. Corvette guys have argued whether newer is better for years...and will continue to do so.
So True. I'll stick with the older one's. Mine was stolen in '71 but she returned home 12 years later.. Never owned a Python yet, more into 1911s but dig shooting my 3 screw Blackhawk and keep lurking for a Legacy 6" blue.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Kind of off topic but does anyone have a new and old python? Like many things there's the mentality "they don't make them like the use to" and the original is superior to the old. I would think in terms of repairs the newer ones are cheaper to repair than the old and I have heard that the new pythons are made stronger so they shoot more 357 magnums than the old. Curious if anyone has both and would want to share their own comparisons ( I have none do have a .22 officers model match).
I have both and even carried a 4" 'old' Python as a duty weapon back in the early 80's. I haven't shot the new Python extensively yet (just got it a few weeks ago) but these are my observations so far; the new Python looks every bit as awesome as the 'old' Python and I am definitely pleased as far as the looks are concerned. The double action trigger is a bit 'different' than the old Python, not better or worse, just a bit different. The single action trigger pull is assuredly heavier than my old Pythons and could definitely use some improvement!

Here's my feelings in a nutshell. My 4" old Python is in the possession of another individual who knows that I bought it new and carried it as a street cop (I currently have a 1971 6" Python in my safe) and we have talked about it several times. He has always asked me what I had to trade whenever I've asked him about getting it back from him. After I got my new 4.25" Python and shot it my oldest son asked "So, would you trade the new one to get the old one back?" I didn't have to even think about it, I just said "No!"

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Kind of off topic but does anyone have a new and old python? Like many things theres the mentality "they don't make them like the use to" and the original is superior to the old. I would think in terms of repairs the newer ones are cheaper to repair than the old and I have heard that the new pythons are made stronger so they shoot more 357 magnums than the old. Curious if anyone has both and would want to share their own comparisons ( I have none do have a .22 officers model match).
I have several legacy Pythons plus a 2020 6" example. I did put my 1960 6" Python up against the new one. It really wasn't a fair test...I had no idea the round count of the early gun. Even though they had the same length barrel the new Python is heavier as it doesn't have the hollowed out barrel lug so they balanced differently from on another...not significantly so but you could tell.

I fired them side by side...used ammunition from the same box and used identical Pachmayr stocks. The new Python has a better trigger action...but only slightly...but again it had no wear or buildup in the action.

Accuracy-wise...the 2020 Python was superior but again...not by much. The difference could simply have been the sights...the '60 Python is nickel plated with nickeled sights...I have to admit my eyes couldn't pick up the front sight as well.

Based on my limited comparison I will say the new Python is an outstanding revolver and certainly a worthy successor to the older Pythons...maybe even superior if Colt's hype is accurate about being made from superior steel making it more durable. It's a shame Colt had some hiccups with its introduction...unforced errors that should not have been allowed to occur. They seem to be past it now...it's a pricey piece but it seems to be winning its spurs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have several legacy Pythons plus a 2020 6" example. I did put my 1960 6" Python up against the new one. It really wasn't a fair test...I had no idea the round count of the early gun. Even though they had the same length barrel the new Python is heavier as it doesn't have the hollowed out barrel lug so they balanced differently from on another...not significantly so but you could tell.

I fired them side by side...used ammunition from the same box and used identical Pachmayr stocks. The new Python has a better trigger action...but only slightly...but again it had no wear or buildup in the action.

Accuracy-wise...the 2020 Python was superior but again...not by much. The difference could simply have been the sights...the '60 Python is nickel plated with nickeled sights...I have to admit my eyes couldn't pick up the front sight as well.

Based on my limited comparison I will say the new Python is an outstanding revolver and certainly a worthy successor to the older Pythons...maybe even superior if Colt's hype is accurate about being made from superior steel making it more durable. It's a shame Colt had some hiccups with its introduction...unforced errors that should not have been allowed to occur. They seem to be past it now...it's a pricey piece but it seems to be winning its spurs.
Thanks for the objective review and comments. I have heard a lot of bashing on the new guns. I was most intersted in the trigger. Sounds like it is worth the money. I think the biggest thing is like you have mentioned the gun is brand new. With the price the originals are going for it is nerve wrecking that you may buy it and have problems. Thanks for the two reivews!

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
My only criticism of the trigger is the serrations are pretty sharp...but Colt is known for that.

Reactions: tibbels1

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I have numerous Pythons ,spanning 5 decades of high quality production.
A student of , and collector of, the Python.
The Python name means something to me.
It's not a shape, to be purchased as cheaply as possible.

I have handled,inspected , and some shooting of the 3 new production types after the 20 year hiatus.
Have not bought any of those, serves no purpose for me.No collector or aspirational value.
Don't need any 357 blasters to abuse.

If I did ,would be the Chiappa Rhino which is made with pride in work, by an Italian family owned firearms business.Fine, robust , accurate.Very pleasant in 357.
Same type MSRP as the 2020 revolver.

Or could just buy 2 Kimber or Ruger DA revolvers...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Why do people act like the new Python is junk? Obviously it's not got the exact same lock work as the original Python that basically dates back to the 1890's but it's a quality made gun. The original King Cobras were all cast internal parts and nobody talks crap about them because they were accurate and sturdy revolvers. The new pythons action is pretty dang similar to the original, still having a rebound lever to act as the hand spring and the double stepped hand creating the famous bank vault lockup. It looks to me like the only difference is that they replaced all those tiny sliding levers that made up the hammer block with a simpler transfer bar and they improved the locking bolt. Most of the internal parts on the new Python are forged and not mim anyways so I don't understand how everyone says it's meant to be made as cheaply as possible but then say the original King cobra was a higher quality revolver put together by craftsmen that Colt no longer has. From what I understand the only reason the trooper mk iii/ mk v/ King cobra action was even designed was to be put together as cheaply as possible with no hand fitting from real craftsmen but no one tears into them as much as the new Python which is nicer than the trooper mk III I had.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have my own theories why certain people like certain types of Pythons. One of them is color and the warmth it radiates. I own a few from the 50s to current model in all types of finishes. Most "collectors" like the blue followed by nickel and then SS. Another reason is the age of a unit. Who would not want to own a piece of history partially hand crafted, the older the better. Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
I can only offer the view point from a "new" Python owner. I looked at the 2020 version, however decided on a 1979 Blued 6 inch version. This is a one owner gun with all the paperwork, box etc. last time it was shot before me was approximately 38 years ago. I feel I paid a fair price researching what others in this condition were selling for. I know just from reading here different view points of when the older models quality started to drop, but I feel the one I found is perfect for me. I fired it yesterday for the first time and enjoyed it. This will probably be the only Python I own, so I found a nice one to own and shoot. I have no intention of selling it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts