Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a chance on GB and bought this old pre 70 built in 1967. Purists please contain your gag reflexes. I have a soft spot for pre 70 target guns. I was hoping for a Clark or Shockey but this is a very nicely built gun that has been some bodys baby. After examining the pistol it has a Colt NM barrel and custom fit bushing along with the Bomar rib. The Patch and grips were the big surprise tucked in a little pouch. The trigger is probably about three lbs and is very clean. Thanks for looking. Truman

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The trigger will likely be set for 3.5 lbs (NRA trigger weight for .45). Try some 185 Federal jacketed SWCs and you'll probably have close to a one-hole group at 50 yards. Nothing wrong with a properly set up wad gun. And that's a nice one, too.
Bob

·
Registered
337 Posts
Looks like a nice old gun, and no gag reflex from me. I like those old target guns. Years ago, I came across a 1964 production Colt accurized by James Clark. Bought it, sent it back to Clark for the tune up they offer and some other work. They sent the old gun back with a test target showing 10-rds. in just over 2" at 50 yards. I know they are passe now, but I continue to admire the older target guns.

Clark.JPG

·
Registered
155 Posts
OP, that’s a beauty. I just posted a thread the other day on the 70 I just got that has target sights. Lots of competitive shooters did that back then. It was pretty much out of necessity, as guns like that were generally not available “off the shelf”as they are now. Nice pickup. :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Looks like a very nice pistol, does it have any markings on it that might say who put it together. The front of the grip/frame look a little like something like Bob Chow would of done. Let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like a very nice pistol, does it have any markings on it that might say who put it together. The front of the grip/frame look a little like something like Bob Chow would of done. Let us know how it shoots.
Nope I checked it over pretty close and I didn't see anything. Truman

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I can't prove it but I remember the Bomar ribs popularity from the 70s. They put a rib on nearly every style target piece out there from 1911s to model 10 smiths. It was before they went to ports and the rib lessened recoil due to weight. I seem to recall even in the early days of IPSC there were some rib guns and I think a ribbed BHP won a world championship. Again I am old and may be wrong.

Love the guns as with the right load you could hit the target every time.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That was the first thing I noticed was the extra weight and reduced recoil impulse. I wonder what they recommend for a recoil spring weight with this setup ? Truman

·
Registered
470 Posts
Most "heavy slide" Bullseye guns run 10# to 12# springs depending on your powder load and bullet weight. Of course back in the 60's they just kept clipping coils off the spring until it worked reliably.
Mike

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
In IPSC at that time it took full power loads to make major plus the sights on the rib were excelent. Once porting came along the 38 super changed the entire game and ribs were forgotten. Times change but you are lucky to own a fine piece of history that will shoot so good.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I can't prove it but I remember the Bomar ribs popularity from the 70s. They put a rib on nearly every style target piece out there from 1911s to model 10 smiths. It was before they went to ports and the rib lessened recoil due to weight. I seem to recall even in the early days of IPSC there were some rib guns and I think a ribbed BHP won a world championship. Again I am old and may be wrong.

Love the guns as with the right load you could hit the target every time.
I am old too, but I'm never wrong! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
No worries about purists. What else was BE target shooter going to do at the time? You admire it for what it is. That is all that matters. As you can see; others like it as well. I know I do.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Most "heavy slide" Bullseye guns run 10# to 12# springs depending on your powder load and bullet weight. Of course back in the 60's they just kept clipping coils off the spring until it worked reliably.
Mike
I'm using an 11lb recoil spring in my Clarks LHS with the 185gr target load and it seems just about right. Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts