Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted this on some other forums but have been surprised at the very wide variety of opinions on the current value of this rifle. Serial is GC 003 262. I had it in my hands and it appears to be NIB although lets go with LNIB. The paperwork and other packing material was still in the box along with a pair of 20rd box mags. I have been a member long enough that I do expect some variations when asking these types of questions but this one was a bit crazy so I figured I would ask in another spot (and probably make it worse :).) Usually when these types of questions are asked there is variation in the responses, but an overall consensus can be made. Value opinions I received from low to high varied by a multiple of 5x so...... here I am.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Let's see a pic of the mag release side.

I agree with the comments posted previously.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have more pics here. The one thing that I have been told more than once (on another forum) is that this gun would have restricted markings on the receiver, which it does not.. Something that was mentioned to me was that the gun should not have a sear block, but I am ignorant and don't know what I am looking for. The 2 guys at the shop that would know aren't in at the moment but I can get a firm answer on that within a few hours. I added one more photo in the original post as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Beautiful rifle, those prices are correct for that condition. The rifle will not have restricted markings as it was made before they were put on them. The rifle will also not have a sear block as these came later too. The sear block was a large steel block that was permanently attached in the area in front of the rear take down pin. It made it impossible to use a full auto Bolt assembly. It was later replaced by a cast in web. This also stopped the use of a DIAS (drop in auto sear) to make the rifle run in full auto.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That's a very nice looking pre ban Gov't Carbine, they made them from 1988 up to 1990 with the green label boxes.

I used to have the older carbine model before that a R6420 marked AR-15A2 Sporter II carbine that I bought new in 1985, and the model after that R6530 marked Sporter Lightweight carbine which I bought new in 1991, so that carbine is in between the carbine models that I had.

Your serial number indicates the 3K number was made early around 1988 to 1989.

I also agree there should not be any steel sear block above the selector of the lower receiver, they did those between 1990 and 1994, and also no LE restricted markings which they marked later during the ban starting in 1994 and on.

I lived in Henderson, NV before and now I'm at North Las Vegas, since we are not in a restricted state I'm sure you could get that carbine at a lower price than at ban states high prices.

Reactions: SanchoPanza

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help. I am at a gunshow all day today but I can reach out to the owner via text and most likely make a deal on this rifle.

·
Registered
93 Posts
How much does he want?

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
What others have said is spot on. The value as a "collector" piece is just that for collectors. It looks like it's new, so it'd be a good score for someone looking to fill a spot in their herd. As a shooter, that was one of the best...old style, but with newer sights/etc. Up north, where we're not restricted on anything really, it'd only bring that money to someone looking specifically for that, in that condition. Otherwise, it'd be more around $1200-1500 maybe....

Also, if you do buy it, please get rid of that nasty Tapco scope mount on top. Why it's even on there is beyond me........

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I made an offer over the weekend but the stupid consignor never even responded to the store. Based on the advice given here I went to the store (I did not run... I meandered my way down there a few mins before they closed today) and just paid for the gun. $1200OTD and its mine. Here are a few more pics of the entire package. It had the cleaning rod still sealed up inside along with two different cleaning brushes. The manual and a front pistol grip (I am guessing that did not come with the rifle). Box is in excellent condition (IMO). There is no sling with it (not sure if it was supposed to have a sling).

Again, I appreciate all the advice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Awesome pick up!!!! Seriously...that's a good grab right there. I wouldn't have passed on that at all. Funny how they included the keymod fore grip all wrapped up like it's part of the deal.... sell that for $20, toss the tapco scope mount and you're at 100%.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awesome pick up!!!! Seriously...that's a good grab right there. I wouldn't have passed on that at all. Funny how they included the keymod fore grip all wrapped up like it's part of the deal.... sell that for $20, toss the tapco scope mount and you're at 100%.
The Tapco scope mount came off about 5 mins after I got the rifle to the house.;)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well, I made an offer over the weekend but the stupid consignor never even responded to the store. Based on the advice given here I went to the store (I did not run... I meandered my way down there a few mins before they closed today) and just paid for the gun. $1200OTD and its mine. Here are a few more pics of the entire package. It had the cleaning rod still sealed up inside along with two different cleaning brushes. The manual and a front pistol grip (I am guessing that did not come with the rifle). Box is in excellent condition (IMO). There is no sling with it (not sure if it was supposed to have a sling).

Again, I appreciate all the advice.
take it back !!! you got ripped off there should have been a sling in the package goods:rolleyes:

WOW you did good myfriend , congrats

1 - 20 of 28 Posts