Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a pre-Gold Cup Natinal Match. I don't have the serial number, but it's one of the ones produced from '57 to the early 70's. The gun is all original and has barely been shot at all, but was stored for over 20 years in poor conditions. There are some small rust spots on the front of the slide and when I stripped the gun it had some small surface rust on the interior, but nothing major. How much is this gun worth? I noticed the slide was much lighter than I'm used to and I'd heard in the past that these guns were meant for semi-wadcutter ammo. My experience with 1911's has been limited to a 1991A1 and GI 1911's. What can you guys tell me about these?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Kev, welcome to the Forum!
Sounds to me like you have one of the early National Matches, and under 10,000-NM serial number they were "thin slides" material was removed from with in the side and top of the slide, as you say for shooting 'match ammo' wadcutters. I still have my "first" and is in the 6000 range and the ONLY thing I ever did was was install a "shock-buff"(Wilson fiber washer on the recoiul spring guide. If you shoot 'ball'ammo out of these you can and will cause the slide to crack, towards the front ,where the underside opening starts.
As for the 'rust', any 'rust' type oil and a bit of broze or very fine steel wool and you can remove a lot of this surface rust. If it leaves any pitting or 'bare ' spots, you may have to 'redo' ( reblue) the slide. It will be hard to match the original , finish as most come out much 'darker' now.
Here's what mine looks like...............................

Value is up there, and I would NEVER sell mine, and have been offered over $1500 for the gun alone, plus I have a ' fitted' .22lr conversion unit.
Mint in the box, from $1000 to $1700, I've seen them at OGCA.(Ohio Gun Collectors Association)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi everyone I dont mean to hijack the thread but this brings up a good question.

I have the exact same gun as in your picture. what is considered "match " ammo. i just loaded up some 225 grain cast round nose lead. with 5.6 grains of unique powder. with a 800 velocity. I would think this load would be ok. its on the low end of the spec table in my book.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts