Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pre production 6\" diamondback

I have a6" diamondback ser. no. R409xx bought in the mid 70's. 1976 Ithink. It hasthe brown woodgrain box marked 6". It also has an unusual mark on the triggerguard on the left side at the front. it is a triangle with the letters vp overlapped. Colt stopped making Diamondbacks about that time,but started again about 2 years later and coming out with the first regular production 6" Diamondbacks. My question is does anyone recognize the mark, and would it be worth the $150 for aletter from the colt archives for a pre-poduction 6"diamondback P.S.this is.22 caiber

·
Registered
909 Posts
Re: pre production 6\" diamondback

I can't speak to the Diamondback itself, but the "VP" in the triangle is Colt's verified proof mark. It has been stamped on each Colt since about 1905 signifying that the gun has passed final inspection before being shipped.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
Re: pre production 6\" diamondback

The "VP" in a triangle is Colt's standard "Verified Proof" mark indicating the gun passed it's proof test.

This appears on EVERY colt firearm made since at least the early 1900's.

I'm not sure what you mean by "pre-production" Diamondback.

Colt started production of the Diamondback in 1966, and continued uninterrupted production until the model was discontinued in 1986.

When Colt introduced the 6" barreled versions, these were just added to the cataloged versions, and as far as I know, there was no "break in production".

A check of Colt's serial number and production data from that time, shows a steady supply of Diamondback's being manufactured.

Your Diamondback serial R409XX was made in late 1978.
The serial numbers that year picked up at R13901 and ran to whatever the final number was in the "R" series.

1980 picked up at S01001, so I don't know how high the "R" series went.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 02-27-2005).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts