Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm mostly a revolver kinda guy, but I have an old Gold Cup with a 4-digit serial number that I shot now and then years ago with lead semi-wadcutters in a bullseye league. I have read somewhere that Gold Cups of this vintage were basically wad guns and will not hold up to much use of standard 230 gr hardball. Supposedly the sights are especially vulnerable to damage. Anybody know about this? Seems like a Gold Cup would be designed to handle hardball, since I'd imagine plenty of people would want to use them in leg matches or other military-load only competition.

Bill

·
Registered
806 Posts
Bill, the early Gold Cups, under 10,000 had what they called "thin slides". Material was removed from the sides of the slide, on the 'inside' making them lighter and thinner. When you turn a slide upside down and compare it to a later one the difference is 'obvious'.
As you say , these were made for 'wadcutter' (target) ammo and if one shoots 'ball' ammo you can crack them up front about around the area where the slide circles completely around and underneath ,in the recoil spring guide area,back not quite 2". We usually put one of those Wilson 'Shok-buff' or such in there and this helps to lessen the impact, but still try and keep shooting a reduced load.
Yes, as to your other point, when shooting 'ball' ammo out a Gold Cup, again , the front sights will tend to 'shoot out' from the higher impact. These were built as 'target' guns NOT combat guns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts