Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys: Can anyone help me identify whether the front sight on my Officers Model Heavy Barrel .38 is Colt factory, after market or what? Pic is below. I can't find anything in my Colt catalogs, Wilson's big book, or the King sight catalog. The sight is unmarked. Serial on the gun is 6092XX putiting it around 1937 or so. Anyone have one that is similar? Thanks! Charlie Flick

·
Registered
97 Posts
Charlie,

This is a Roper self locking micrometer front sight. See Walter Roper's Pistol and Revolver Shooting, Macmillan, New York, 1945, pages 178 & 179, with a photograph of a sight identical to this one on p. 179.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bfoster (edited 06-14-2003).]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
Many target shooter of the 30's replaced the factory front sight with something like the Roper sight, since it allowed much more precise adjustments.

In those days, Colt was the King of target pistols.

Whoever owned your Officer's Model was almost certainly a serious target shooter.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob: Thanks for so quickly identifying the sight for me as a Roper. I was stumped. Dfaris, thanks for your comments as well. I am not a serious target shooter myself, but I do enjoy and appreciate the fine old target guns. Charlie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts