Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pre-War Colt Factory \'Hand Finished Action\'?

Guys: I like to pick up old gun catalogs and related paper when I can. I recently found a 1934 Colt Catalog/Price List (PL-22). It is a real eye opener to see that one could by an Officers Model Target for $40.75, although admittedly in 1934 dollars that was probably an average man's weekly wage. I noticed one special order feature that caught my eye. Under "Special Features" one could order "Hand finished action, all models" for the princely sum of $5.00. My question: Is there any way now, short of a factory letter, for one to know if his revolver had the factory hand finished action? In other words, are there any special markings or aspects of the gun which indicate this special feature (besides the feel of the action which always seems pretty smooth on pre-war Colts anyway)? Would a factory letter reveal this special order item? Thanks for any input. Charlie

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Re: Pre-War Colt Factory \'Hand Finished Action\'?

O man
In that year (1934) for $40.75, the price of an OMT, you could get the labor of three men working a 50 hour week. I know cause my dad worked WPA 50 hour weeks building roads for the princely sum of $12.00/week and that supported a family of four. So, none of us should cry today when we have to pay $500 for a gun, which for most guys, I would assume, they make that much at least weekly. That sort of put things in perspective, don't it? How do I know? I was born that year and I heard the stories from Dad all my life about how rough times were then and we think we have it rough now....don't think so. Dick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts