Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the original price back in 1932 or thereabouts from an advertisement or reference book. Standard blue finish gun, square butt, walnut grips, 38 special caliber. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I have in my reference library a couple of reprints of Stoeger's Shooters Bibles from 1932 and 1940 plus quite a few old Shooters Bibles and Gun Digests from the mid-1950's through mid-1990's. I keep an excel spreadsheet for my guns with a column for original retail price, that price corrected for inflation (updated about once a year) the price I paid for the gun and the current market value. It is interesting to see which guns are worth many times what their corrected for inflation value is, which of course would assume NIB condition which 98% of my guns are not. But stiill a fun exercise. Old advertisements are often seen on ebay too, you can glean retail prices from them as well.
$28.50 in 1932 = about $504 today. You would be lucky to find a high condition Dick Special for less than about $1250 today, much higher with original box and papers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts