Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my second US Ordnance marked detective special. This one is only about 100 off the other one I have. These WWII revolvers have been really tough to find. One is in blue and the other seems to have been parkerized a long time ago. Anyone else have one of these out there?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Very nice, wear did you find them?

·
Administrator
7,302 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
... Anyone else have one of these out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish I did Larry . Very nice /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Forum envy! That's what I've got.

A very nice pair of Detective Specials. I've not heard of ordnance marked Detective Specials before. Wonder what their histories are? Do you have factory letters?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not have letters on these two. In Pate's book "US Handguns of WWII: Secondary Pistols and Revolvers" (I love this book!)he discusses that the US purchased around 5000 Det Specials for military inteligence, counter inteligence amd military police with about 1000 going to the OSS. These two have the small ordnance mark on the upper left of the frame (flaming bomb). Serial numbers in the 468k range which puts them into the 1939-1940 serial range. They are also both the non-standard square butt variation (standard prior to 1933 switching to round butt after). The only other mark Pate mentions for military issue pistols was a small pin prick on the left of the frame above the colt inspector mark (assuming that these "unmarked" pistols probably went to the OSS). Interesting to note that Pate mentions Patton was issued one and Eisenhower turned one in on his retirement from the Army in 1951.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts