Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many finish blemishes can one man take! I rely on internet pictures of guns to decide to add them to my collection. I am finding a little too much condition variation in the pictures of guns advertised as 99% original nickel finish for C&R related Colts. Would some of you experienced collectors post pictures of your C&R factory nickel revolvers or pistols which you consider to be in 99% condition.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
True "99%" Factory nickel Colts are indeed VERY difficult to track down. I'm sure Cam has at least a few he can share. In the meantime, here's my contribution.
1940 6" Factory Nickel Official Police:
Pen Office supplies Cosmetics Writing implement Rectangle

1917 4" Factory Nickel Police Positive:
Pen Blue Revolver Office supplies Office equipment

1930 Factory Nickel Detective Special:
Font Nickel Rectangle Bullet Auto part

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
I’ve noticed that on nickel guns, many sellers base condition on how much plating is left, doesn’t matter if it’s scratched or beat up. I’ve seen some nickel guns rated 98-99%, id be hesitant to rate 90%.

My buddy and I used to have a similar debate on “antique guns”. He’d show me a 50- 60% gun, talk about how great condition and say this one would rate 90-95%. I’d be like that’s a 50% gun lol. He go on about you rate different on antiques. I’d say idc if it was made in 1860 or 2016, 95% is 95%.

I see Russ and I are on the same page of condition ratings :).

Reactions: snakeman99

·
The Consummate Collector
8,016 Posts
Snakeman has some terrific examples and I can't improve on them. Here are a few of my 99% Colts from yesteryear:

And this New Service is probably as close to 100% as I have ever owned. It was stored in a sealed glass case when I purchased it. Difficult to even get a good picture of. No micro scratches anywhere. It looks like it left the factory an hour ago.

Cam.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
You can use the glare to make a scratched nickel gun look pretty good in the pictures. It is hard to tell exactly what you will receive. when buying online.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
No such thing as "100%"...

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Nice thing about nickel is that a really well redone nickel gun looks real good, at least to me.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for posting your fantastic nickel plated guns. The theme of these is almost perfection, with no visible handling marks of any kind. So when I see a gun with a n9ck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts