Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
The last one of these I saw for sale was presented to an Army general. Sold to settle his estate. I believe they said it was found in his safe with lots of paperwork regarding the gun and 5 rounds in the cylinder. IIRC it went for $7500. More than I could afford but would of loved to own it.

·
Premium Member
19,179 Posts
David, That $7500 is probably in line with what Jack-the-Dog will get for this one. Of course, if the person who received it from the Colt VP (at the time) is famous, it may go much higher.
Like you, I would love to own it, but I suspect it will go for more than I am willing to pay.
The reason I put the EZ link on this Thread is so I can check back on the bidding every day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RIA hasn't sold one for a while. Their last one was December 2018. A 38 special, 5 1/2 barrel, about the same condition with a better box. It went for $10,350 w/premium.

·
Premium Member
19,179 Posts
Bruce, If you want it, let me know and I will certainly not be tempted to bid. That goes for any other Forum member.

·
Premium Member
19,179 Posts
I am also watching the Nazi proofed Norwegian 45 auto (Model 1914) from 1945. It is below $3000 which would be a good buy it it does not get much higher, but it will!!

·
Registered
366 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,179 Posts
David, Good information. The importer marks on the gun you reference certainly hurt its overall value, IMO!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I found the letter a bit strange too. It mentions being returned to Colt for engraving but it looks like that didn't happen.
I don't plan on bidding on this on but maybe someone here will fall in love with it.

·
Premium Member
19,179 Posts
David, Over the years of reading posts on the Colt Forum, I have seen no love for import marks or foreign proof on Colt SAA's except for the SAA's that went to Britain (Battle of Britain). Those SAA's are very popular.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Terry I totally agree with you when it comes to import marks. The only import marked gun I would like to add to my collection is an original "Lend Lease" Garand. Although I will admit I own one of those #5 Jungle carbine Enfields that is import marked. It looks like it was left in the jungle for years. Heck I'm sure it was. The plan was to upgrade one day. However since I now focus on Colts and no longer hunt for military surplus I'm sure it won't happen.

·
Premium Member
19,179 Posts
David, Years ago the Lend Lease Garands were not regarded very highly. Like you imply, they are highly sought after these days. A friend of mine has one and he has turned down some very attractive offers.

·
Premium Member
19,179 Posts
Its at $3806 with 10 days to go. Anyone want to guess the price range it will sell for. I am thinking >$10K

·
Premium Member
19,179 Posts
Those Colt SAA's with their interesting history should be highly regarded by collectors. I think each one has a special story, but those stories can take lots of research.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
I would hope that everyone interested in these guns would already know this, but if you don't, Don Wilkerson published an excellent little book on the Pre/Post War SAAs. It is "Colt's Single Action Army Revolver Pre-War Post-War Model" (1991, printed by Broughton Printing, Inc.). Carol Wilkerson may still have some copies of this book available, but her web site indicates they are few and she has no plans to reprint it.

- - Bruce in Ohio

1 - 20 of 28 Posts