Colt Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
Bill Dascher must have purchased a couple dozen copies of the Pre-War-Post-War book by Wilkerson. He used to give them away to friends. I have had my copy for well over 25 years.
It is a great 'little' book.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
These seem incredibly overpriced for what they are. I purchased a Colt Cavalry Model revolver with a Kopec letter that authenticated it as 100% correct recently for little more than this one will sell for. But, then again a collector of these might think the Cavalry Models are overpriced for what they are. To each his own.

·
Registered
452 Posts
These seem incredibly overpriced for what they are. I purchased a Colt Cavalry Model revolver with a Kopec letter that authenticated it as 100% correct recently for little more than this one will sell for. But, then again a collector of these might think the Cavalry Models are overpriced for what they are. To each his own.
I have been thinking the same thing. I realize there are only 331 of these out there but my my Kopec lettered "W" Wheeler cavalry gun is one of 29 know to exist. I paid less than the pre/post war will sell for.
Having sad that I understand supply and demand. Collectors can and do certainly drive up the "fair market value" for collectibles. Just look and see what a factory nickel 2nd gen SAA will sell for especially a nickel Buntline. (only made IIRC 59 of them for the entire 2nd gen run.)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I read in the book that in Mr. Wilkerson's survey for 1951 and 1952 the last three numbers of the serial number were scratched on the rear of the cylinder. Maybe this one was assembled prior to that practice.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
The non matching box and grips may hold this one back a bit. I'm guessing it tops out between $5K and $6K...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
In the introduction to the book Wilkerson mentions there were 400 leftover frames. I have one of those frames.

Reactions: superdave269
21 - 28 of 28 Posts