Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm meeting tomorrow with a guy that wants to sell a Woodsman target that sounds like a Prewar/Postwar since the s/n is 185xxx and it has the extended plastic
grips. I haven't seen the gun yet, but from the description, sounds like 98%++ (don't they always!). Has original box and papers. He's asking $900.
All other things being equal, is this gun worth more or less then an equivlent condition pre war gun? Anything peculiar to Prewar/Postwar that I shd look (out) for?
Thanks in advance!
rhloew

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I own 186718 with box and papers, manufactured 1946-47. First series Woodsman manufactured serialed #54,001 to 187432, with total about 112K manufactured with about 98K target models, mine is target model w/ 6 5/8" barrel . About 10,000 1st series were produced post WWll. Markings: THE WOODSMAN AUTOMATIC COLT CAL 22 LONG RIFLE (with uncircle rampant Colt)
VP R (in left triggerguard) 87 (right triggerguard)
Adjustable sights with the extended plastic grips. FYI I picked mine up at the LGS for slightly less than $500 this year. LGS always quotes me a better finish when selling and a worse % finish when buying. Thought I got a good deal. Will try to include picture if I can make them smaller. Seem to always get an error message that they are too big to post.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I don't know if the prices in MA are as inflated as they are in CA, but here it's hard to find a nice 1st Series Woodsman for anywhere under $800 and many are marked much higher. If in truly NRA Excellent condition, with box, manual and hopefully the test target $900 is not unreasonable at all. You can always offer a little less and see what happens. I own one in the low 180,000 range that shipped 11/14/46 to a hardware store in Duluth, MN and eventually ended up on consignment at a local gun store with a vintage Eubanks holster included in the price. It had some ugly, warped Franzite white plastic stocks on it when I bought it. I found some pre-war walnut stocks and also found a set of the brown plastic extended length stocks but like the walnut stocks better. The 1st Series Woodsmans are classics.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
I don't know if the prices in MA are as inflated as they are in CA, but here it's hard to find a nice 1st Series Woodsman for anywhere under $800 and many are marked much higher. If in truly NRA Excellent condition, with box, manual and hopefully the test target $900 is not unreasonable at all.
If as described, and with box, I would break my arm getting my wallet out at $900.

Postwar/prewars somettimes have prewar type blue, sometimes postwar type blue, and sometimes both on the same gun. I picked up a 99% sleeper years ago because the seller thought the blue was "wrong".

Bob Rayburn
colt22.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.