Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever seen a 1930s era Woodsman with the Pony on the slide in bare metal silver? As if the factory or dreaded previous owner engraved it out in silver after the blueing was completed? I am guessing no, but it's all that spoils a 80% example I am looking at today.

·
Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Negotiate the price down to where it doesn't feel "spoiled," knowing you that can put cold blue in the no-finish "engraved" lines and the damage will no longer be noticeable.

(By "engraved it out in silver," I assume you mean someone scratched out the blue finish in the Rampant Colt (NOT Pony) roll mark, rather than silver inlay having been added to the roll mark. Are you sure the "silver" is not silver paint? It is common to find markings filled in with paint to make them stand out.)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks. The pics were too grainy to be useful, I tried. I think it is scratched out. So clearly NOT ever an option.

And sorry if my slang offended people. No disrespect intended. I have spent my life tending to six figure horses that stand 17 hands tall and I call them ponies too.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Here we go. Looks well done.
Brassmonkey,

If it is that material used to high-light the features it will come off/out with light oil and a toothbrush. If it is paint, acetone and the brush should remove it.

Below is that material used for accenting features to take pictures. (In this case it has yellowed with age.)

Best Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I would try non-abrasive non-damaging removal first. I've tried Whiteout, white Crayola crayon, gun sight sharpie-like pens... and all are removable.
PS Never use school chalkboard white chalk - it can be corrosive - ask me how I know.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. Yes I had an FN1922 come with the Yugo crest filled and it came out with no damage.
As my Canadian friend says we don't them up here so often. Might bite. I have a Pre-Woodsman, a second series and a Targetsman so this would be a nice addition.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
You can tell her it was such a good deal that you just couldn't pass it up.

Just today the credit card company denied a purchase at Collectors Firearms, I don't think my credit card company likes out of state gun purchases. Then she overheard me on the phone authorizing this same $2500 purchase. Lisa got all excited, but I said it was a very special purchase and a Father's Day present to myself. Seems to have worked to her satisfaction. Aren't they all "very special"?

BTW a 1905 45acp British marked #5408

1 - 15 of 15 Posts