Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I just received a 1940 Woodsman Match Target from a relative. It shows its age ,but is not beat up. Has original mag,and grips. It shoots perfectly! The trigger pull is so light its not even funny! My problem is that the stocks/ grips are broken. One side has split off :( Most of it is still there tho. It also came with a sweet leather holster. This thing has been a safe queen for the better part of 30 years!
I have not taken it apart and cleaned it, but did wipe it down good,and cleaned what I could with some light solvent,and q tips. I did this just to clean it a little to shoot it! I have seen grips for sale,and the are very pricey. There are aftermarket grips that are also very pricey. Is there any other grips for this model that will work? I am even considering selling or trading it for something newer. I am not a collector or anything, but just feel more comfortable with a newer gun. Any insight or advice will be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
The friendly and helpful people who visit here will need pictures and serial number or range to evaluate, then offer advise.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, any 1st series grip panels will fit your MT. This model is VERY desirable. If it were me, I would keep it and enjoy it. The quality of these pistols are second to none. I've seen grips for 1st series Woodsman's on ebay over the years. You will probably find a set by posting or cruising the for sale forum. You have quite a find there, something definitely worth keeping.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
It is a prewar Match Target, it has the Elephant Ear Walnut grips, appearntly the other side is the damaged one? Little or no finish left lowest value listed in the current Blue Book 60% at $850 yours will be less than that with a broken grip (big expense) and no finish. The magazine should have a 3 line marking on the base to be correct. Colt made about 11,000 MT's from 1938 to 1942. My guess is around $500 tops in the existing condition. Others will be along soon to offer their opinion. What ever you do, no refinish is in order, that will only kill any collectors value it still has and you will never recover cost of the work. Enjoy it for what it is.

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts
Welcome Dada2d to the Forum. You've got yourself a nice Colt. Just fyi, an original box (and paperwork too) that would be correct for your Colt, just sold on ebay for $936 dollars. That suprised me a bit, but , as some things are, the parts can be worth more than the whole. Your gun is valuable, and the elephant ear wood grips are significant dollars for reproduction grips of the original style yours has. I'm sort of new to the semi-auto Colts, but I'd say 400 to 700 for reproductions. I've never seen original Colt elephant ear grips for sale, but others may have. Other grips will fit and be much cheaper.
The correct magazine, which hopefully yours already has, is worth hundreds as well. Photos of correct examples are available if you don't know what you have.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Colt made brown plastic grips that extended longer, like the elephant grips, for the military - I think. The brown plastic grips cost much less than the correct wooden grips and can sometimes be found online.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just purchased a 1941 Woodsman Target (not Match) off gunbroker. SERIOUSLY accurate and has an incredible trigger. Almost as accurate as my Ruger Mark III Target :). This model has the flat checkered wood grips, which should be a cheaper alternative to the one's you have. You can find originals and repo's on gunbroker.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Colt made brown plastic grips that extended longer, like the elephant grips, for the military - I think. The brown plastic grips cost much less than the correct wooden grips and can sometimes be found online.
This is the type mentioned by 22shtur, and was the type was used on the WWII era Match Targets after the wooden Elephant Ear type were discontinued, and also used on the Post-War/Pre-War Woodsmans that were made up of leftover parts right after the war and just prior to the introduction of the 2nd Series Woodsmans that had a totally different frame:

Colt Woodsman Huntsman Brown Plastic Pistol Grips | eBay

I have seen this type sell for $75-100. Vintage Gun Grips sells repros of this type in a variety of colors and also sells the hardware

Colt Woodsman<br>.22 “Pre-War” (No Logo)

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
My suggestion is to keep it as there were only 16,611 anufactured from 1938-1944. Yours was probably made in 1940. However, in it's present condition the value is significantly reduced for the Colt collector, maybe $750. Use it and shoot it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts