Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am looking at a Pre Woodsman for sale online and have noticed that it has the later High Speed housing instead of the checkered low speed housing it should have , What I need to know is how much that should effect the value of the pistol as a collectable . Any educated thoughts ? Serial number is in the 20,000 range and is a pencil barrel target .

Thanks,
Eddie

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I am not a collector, but I would think if the pistol has parts that have been changed out, it would be moved from collector to accumulator status.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
What is the condition of the Pre-Woodsman ? If in high condition, say 95%+ and with a bright sharp bore it would probably be worth $900 to $1000 these days if all original. Subtract a couple hundred for the newer mainspring housing.
If the gun is closer to shooter grade in condition, then the presence of the upgraded mainspring housing will have a lesser effect on the value as a collector and be somewhat of a plus for a shooter. Or maybe neutral effect on value.
We need more info.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Walter,
I'm looking at it online so my guess is 85% of a nice finish that might be original . Gun looks pretty nice for it's age but looks like all the edges are missing blue and has the diamond grips but the condition of the grips don't really match the bluing . The grips show a lot of use , not beat but well used. Add says it's fixed sighted with a pencil barrel . It has the pencil barrel but the sights are the typical adjust for windage at rear and elevation on the front . Comes with two mags both marked Woodsman . Bid in is $900 so I wanted to be sure how much from a collector standpoint the improved housing would ding the price. I shoot so it would be a plus to me but I still don't want to give too much if I can help it .

Thanks Eddie

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and a match target don't have a pencil barrel....
Yup, meant to say Target with the pencil barrel . It was late and I get excited when talking about certain colt products , especially when they are older than I am and in better shape .
Eddie

+ I may also have been just a tad distracted by an add for short shorts !

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a lot of money for so little finish...
Thanks . Kinda what I was thinking . My son bought a shooter from the mid 20's about two years ago that has maybe 60% with the rest browned out , single mag , adjustable sights in the slightly under $400 range . I'm thinking I'd be more comfortable in the $650 range maybe on this one but seller says it a consignment so the price probably ain't gonna come down . I'm thinking if the grips are original to the gun that it's probably had a very good reblue sometime in the past . The checkering is worn down by probably 1/3 and that makes me suspect the blueing should have more wear than it does .

Eddie

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I would rather spend $900 on a high condition Woodsman Target Model made in the late 1930's or early '40's that came set up for high velocity ammo from the factory. I think your comfort level at $650 for the gun in question is a good ballpark, especially with an extra magazine which if correct, is an easy $100. But it sounds like the seller thinks that gun belonged to Billy The Kid.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I made an offer , they are thinking about it . I offered $625 .

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seller says $625 and the ride is fine , gonna do the deal today .

Eddie

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Looks like a nice solid pistol... the two excellent early magazines certainly make up some of that purchase price :)
I'm not a holster expert but it doesn't look like it was made for that pistol, and maybe you can recoup some $$ from that.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I would give that old gal a thorough detailing and cleaning and replace the springs and shoot it once in a while. It looks like it has plenty of life left in it and isn't ready to be put out to pasture yet.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like a nice solid pistol... the two excellent early magazines certainly make up some of that purchase price :) I'm not a holster expert but it doesn't look like it was made for that pistol, and maybe you can recoup some $$ from that.
I had the magazines in mind when I made the offer . My youngest son has one from the 20's that only came with one mag so I found out while trying to buy him a spare that they don't come cheap .

The original owners wife made the holster so I will keep it and use it for whatever it fits but will carry this one in a flower carved Lawrence jock strap holster that I have been saving for quite a while .

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would give that old gal a thorough detailing and cleaning and replace the springs and shoot it once in a while. It looks like it has plenty of life left in it and isn't ready to be put out to pasture yet.
Walt,
Sounds like a plan but I suspect it will get shot a bit more than once in a while . Just from looking at the pictures would you say that my estimation of 85% was fairly close ? Kinda hard to tell for sure for me due to his lighting in some pictures .

Never been inside one of these , are they easy to work on ? What springs and do you know a good source for them ?

Eddie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts