Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to a Colt revolver obtained in 1934. It is new in the box and I would estimate it to be in 100% condition. The gun has never been fired except for possibly factory checks. I have no indication of its value and would like to purchase it from it's current owner who has kept it in his "sock drawer" for 71 years. There are no marks on the gun, no rust, no corrision. It is in it's original box with two half moon clips. It has Colt Shooting Master on the barrel and was probably made in the late 1920's or early 1930's. Anyone have a guess as to it's value? Thanks, Shellpicker

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
if as described an original 1k+,a very desireable gun nib or as nib. does the serial on the gun match that penciled on the bottom of the box??

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Shel,
The large caliber Shooting Masters are pretty rare, especially with it's original box. If your example is all correct and in "as-new" condition as you state, with the box and all it would probably bring closer to $4000 (maybe more) in today's collector's market. A friend recently sold an as-new .38 Spl SM with no box for $2500... If you are buying it to resell, your best bet is to offer it in one of the major auction houses, like Rock Island Auctions or Greg Martin Auctions, you will get your best exposure and your strongest collector viewing and best prices there... Hope that helps...
Bob Best

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
in my opinion i would RUN back and buy it for anything less than 1000$.i would guess it`s worth around twice that.if he wants more you might get second opinion. post some photo`s if you get it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Even in 1934,the depths of the Depression,this gun would have sold NEWfor double that. This was Colt's top of the line gun,and .45 acp may have been "special order" as most of the SMs were .38 Special.

Is the sales slip from a store,or a private seller,who really needed quick cash in the depression?

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts