Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have a clue as to why the SAA started with a flat bottom trigger guard bow until 1894, changed to the round bottom trigger guard until 1917, and then changed to the flat bottom (that varies) thru 1940?

Also, does anyone have a preference?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also prefer the round bottom guard.

Since trigger guard bows are occasionally found bent or slightly deformed, I've found that they're pretty darned easy to get back in shape with padded dolly and hammer and leaving no visible repair evidence, not even in the bluing.

I have a 3rd gen shooter that I've installed a wide Cimmarron target SAA wide trigger in. I found and used a spare 3rd gen triggerguard strap which I widened the trigger hole on, and put the original TG strap in ithe gun's box. I'm thinking that might be my candidate for modifying to a round bottom guard.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also despise eagle grips and the square trigger guard.....both of which would cancel a buy from me...the eagle fills my hand to much.
Of course, I like the black rubber without the eagle.

...Ok, so Hondo44 show us with pictures how to make the guard round. We want pictures HAHA!

SAA44

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Round bottom! I always preferred the looks of them to the flat bottoms. Back in the '80s when I had a 1820 and a 1957 engraved as a matched pair I wasn't aware of the difference. But lucked out that they are both flat. I'd prefer round but flat's better than one of each. My Great Western is round and looks great.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I'll do that when I get to it.

To fix bent trigger guards I've taped both inner and outer surfaces of the bottom of the trigger guard. Taken a piece of steel round stock of 7/8" diameter shaped on one side to match the curve we want to produce in the TG, taped it all around as a dolly, and an auto body hammer with taped surface. With TG strap in a padded vise upside down, the round stock thru the guard, then tapped to both sides of the TG bottom 'off' the dolly. Tapping off the dolly raises the metal between the taps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts