Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Colt fans,

As the new and proud owner of a Peacekeeper MK V raises the question what the best double action(DA) technique is to engage the Colt MK V trigger.

As S&W 686-5, 6”barrel, owner I’m used to “stage” the trigger(so called trigger break technique) and used to the smoothness of my S&W DA trigger setup.

But I got the feeling that pulling the trigger all the way(pull through) of the Peacekeeper seems to give better performance. The DA is smooth but a tat heavy and shows some stacking at the end of the DA strike. But this perfectly normal for Colts, I understand?
When dry firing sometimes the front sight wiggles when the hammer falls on the firing pin. Is this totally normal?

By the way at approx. 23 yards in DA mode I can keep the groups beneath 4.5” with the occasional “flyers”. This is done at a moderate pace, 6 shots at 12 sec.

So I’m curious what technique works the best for all you Colt fans or is it a matter of personal preference?

Please advise and thanks in advance.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,899 Posts
Personal preference.

I shoot my Trooper Mark III's by staging the trigger, "most of the time".

I shoot my Pythons with a straight through pull.

If you're going to dry fire your Mark V, USE SNAP CAPS.
The firing pin "can" break occasionally, and this REQUIRES a trip back to Colt to have a new pin installed.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
When dry firing sometimes the front sight wiggles when the hammer falls on the firing pin. Is this totally normal?

[/ QUOTE ]
How long have you been shooting? The front sight can't move by itself unless it's loose. If you see the front sight move at the drop of the hammer you are flinching.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts