Colt Forum banner

Preferred Snubby?

10K views 53 replies 43 participants last post by  ranger8996 
#1 ·
After having caught the "fever" over the last few years in general and for Colt's in particular over the last few months, I have decided to add to my stable a Colt snubby. Any opinions as to the most desireable Colt snubby from the general firearms enthusiast's standpoint? As somewhat of a purist, I have an affinity for the older law enforcement carried snubs (although I've personally been saddled with the plastic guns for years) and I prefer the blued, wooden stocked versions. Not a fan of nickel or "shinyness".

I am not a safe queen hoarder nor will I ever use my guns as trot line weights. They will all be shot, but they will all be passed on to my kids and their kids after them in fine shape and after many years of TLC and honest use.

I stand to inherit several turn of the century and WWII-era Colts this holiday season but don't believe a snubby is part of the group so I welcome your suggestions and input you may have for me. I want the little guy to feel at home with his new brothers and sisters!!

#2 ·
Others will doubtlessly post their opinions, but by the criteria you set , in 38spl, it would be hard to argue with the Colt Detective Special.

Nothing wrong with the Diamondback snubbie either, which for collectors generally prices significantly higher than the Detective Special, although the prewar Detective Special can be very pricey... but I believe in a concealed carry 38 spl a lot more guys in Law Enforcement carried the Dick Special thru the years than the Dback. Nothing wrong with the Colt Agent or Colt Cobra either.

In 357 magnum, I consider the Colt Lawman MKIII to be a great snubbie, but the larger heavier frame prints easier than the Dframe 38 specials, although the 357 certainly has more stopping power.... but for collectors, the Python 357 snubbie continues to lead the pack in "book value", generally in equivalent condition sells for about twice as much (or more) than the Lawman MKIII.

JMHO

#29 ·
Others will doubtlessly post their opinions, but by the criteria you set , in 38spl, it would be hard to argue with the Colt Detective Special. Nothing wrong with the Diamondback snubbie either, which for collectors generally prices significantly higher than the Detective Special, although the prewar Detective Special can be very pricey... but I believe in a concealed carry 38 spl a lot more guys in Law Enforcement carried the Dick Special thru the years than the Dback. Nothing wrong with the Colt Agent or Colt Cobra either.In 357 magnum, I consider the Colt Lawman MKIII to be a great snubbie, but the larger heavier frame prints easier than the Dframe 38 specials, although the 357 certainly has more stopping power.... but for collectors, the Python 357 snubbie continues to lead the pack in "book value", generally in equivalent condition sells for about twice as much (or more) than the Lawman MKIII.JMHO
I also believe the DS would make a good carry snub. I'm a fan of the 2nd gen as I have a '59 vintage and absolutely love it! It has finally smoothed up and the action is a dream.

#3 · (Edited)
Classic Detective Special

I would go with a pre-72 detective special but post 66 grip frame. This is a classic look but with a grip frame that will take all kinds of rubber and wood. I prefer to carry an agent or cobra because of weight but the blued models have an anodized frame and show scratches easily. For extended shooting comfort the detective steel frame takes some of the bite out of the recoil. My gun pictured has the early 80's agent stocks with a pachmayr grip adapter.

#8 ·
Colt 2" .38 SP Official Police, with a grip adapter added to its factory rounded stocks. Very e-z to control for fast follow up shots using 158 gr. homecast lead hollow points.. Much better sight picture. Plus--it looks mean!!

I shoot E/I frames all the time and are used to them, and they fit my hand far better than a D frame, even one with a square butt and adapter, like my 1933 D.S.

Had a chance to buy a couple of .357 Lawmen MK III snubbies, but tried a friends, and I disliked the recoil that would have delayed getting a quick "double tap" or the Mozambique shots that I learned with.

State Police Detectives' estate, I bought the 2"O.P. from, showed me his customized 2.5" New Service .45acp, 1917, that he used in his "off duty job", as a guard to a bank courier makng very big bank deposits after making pickups at various businesses;1917 colt
was to stay in the family, but I did buy his 12 ga. M-1917 Winch, riot gun, that he also carried on their nightly rounds.

Bud

#9 ·
Colt Snub

Have to go with either a post 72 Agent or Det Special for shooting. For the "look", prefer my pre 72 post 66 short grip frame Cobra or Agent. I am surprised that people feel recoil is excessive and they have difficulty carrying and concealing a 2 inch Lawman. It weighs about the same as a S&W K frame 2 1/2 incher, recoils less and in the same holster , I prefer the older DeSantis number 2 speed scabbard, it conceals the same or better. I am just under 5'10 and 160,have no problem concealing that smokewagon. Prefer it to any semiauto. Hit hard with your first couple of shots and stop the bad guy quick. No problem with a decent 38 plus p or a 357. IMHO

#11 ·
Thanks guys!! As usual, thought and ideas that I hadn't considered always come up here. Keep 'em coming. Leaning Dick Special or Cobra. Having just had the light bulb come on that I won't be carrying the thing as a backup, I'm not worried about weight. However, I've also realized a long time ago that when I get in the mood for a new piece, I don't usually just buy one. I hate this sickness. ;)

#12 ·
Another vote for the Detective Special. I prefer some weight in my handguns and am not that big a fan of either alloy framed revolvers or alloy or polymer automatics.

The Detective Special shoots really well, is accurate, and soaks up recoil nicely. It is closer kin to my 2-inch Smith & Wesson Model 10s than it is to the little S&W J-Frame guns in shooting characteristics.

I don't shoot my steel framed Chief's Special as well as the Detective Special. I have a S&W Model 642 but frankly am not much impressed with it, despite it's popularity with so many.

#13 ·
In the last 35 years, I've gone looking specifically for a .38 snub twice. (All those others just jumped up and demanded to be taken home.)
Both times, it was specifically for a Detective Special. First, in 1974, a brand-new one, which was the shrouded version with the upside-down (feeling) "combat" stocks. I think I recall that it was about $145.00 plus tax. Like a fool, I sold it to a neighbor who really wanted it to carry in his business.
A few years ago, I decided to get another, despite the other D-frames on hand that weren't Detective Specials. I settled upon a late-'60's blue two-inch, and that's exactly what I found a couple of weeks later, a 1969 with a couple of speckles, a little bit of blue wear, and faux-pearl handles. The speckles cleaned up, a Hogue rosewood stock was screwed on, and the chambers were filled.
I wanted the '69 for the short butt, which makes finding stocks a lot easier, and the pre-shrouded version because the front sight is a lot bigger since the barrel is skinnier, and I can see the thing faster than the shrouded-type one.

#14 ·
Depends most on whether weight and recoil bothers you. If not, it's impossible to beat a Detective. If you want lightness get an agent or cobra. Any of them is easily concealable and ALL are great shooters. The D-Frame colts were and are the best snub nosed revolvers ever made.

#16 ·
I like the 3" models.

I have a DS 3" and a Cobra 3" that love to go hunting with me for anti nasty critter medicine. (2 or 4 legged versions)

The problem is I also have a really nice Diamondback 2 1/2" that I like to shoot. It was a basket case that was fixed up and refinished in Black T. It also comes with from time to time.

The other 2 1/2" Diamondback I have (it's for sale here) is a bit too nice to drag through the woods. Not a gem, but better left home.

Love the Colts for carry.

#18 ·
1971 Detective Special

Reactions: antares
#19 ·
XTrooper, that is one fine piece of art. I think that is exactly what configuration I'm looking for. Love the dark stocks, love the unshrouded ejector, love the blue. Jeez!! I think the steel frame will get the nod as well.

Curious as to why some suggestions are for a pre-72 but post-66 grip frame. What exactly is the difference? I think it would be ever so cool to have one from my birth year (65). ;)

Again, thanks very much for the input!! I'm educated every time I'm here.

#22 ·
Thanks!

Pre-72 = unshrouded ejector rod

Post-66 = shorter butt frame

#23 ·
I carry a 70's Detective Special as a backup to a Colt Gunsite Pistol. I carry a Taurus 850 CIA that has been tuned as the backup during the summer months when I carry a Glock 26 or Charter Bull Dog as the primary sidearm. Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

#25 · (Edited)
My preferred 'Snubby' would be the 2 Inch 'Army Special', with a bobbed Hammer, and I would have special-ordered one ( or two ) back when, has I been around then!

Since Colt did not offer them, and I was born late, I ended up having to make one by shortening a longer Barrel example. and rounding the Butt in emulation of the 1905 Marine Corps variation of the erstwhile 'New Army'.

This is a nice size for my Hand, and it rides just fine in a Trouser or Jacket Pocket.

I know Colt offered 2 Inch 'Official Police' and 2 Inch 'Commandos', ( being the same size than as the preceding 'Army Special' ) but they are pretty rare and expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.