Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find it interesting that when Charles Arthur Floyd was killed he was armed with two 1911’s, one in his hand and one in his belt. Of the two 1911’s, one had the serial number removed and the other was from 1913. He was also carrying an octagonal Gruen Verithin pocket watch he had apparently marked for ten men he had killed. When Floyd was killed in October of 1934, Floyd was using a gun more than 20 years old. There is a tendency to look at guns from the around period they were produced. However, they can have a long life and perhaps more importance then that of the time they were produced.

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
I recently reread “The Life And Times Of Pretty Boy Floyd“. I don’t recall where Floyd got his guns, but for Dillinger and Bonnie & Clyde they seemed to rob armories with no opposition at all and have BARS, 1911, and other high tech stuff. But when killed the stolen guns get to be kept by the lawmen, especially in Frank Hamer’s case.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,801 Posts
I never understood lawmen like Hamer getting to keep stolen National Guard weapons.
I thought those were US Government property, or at least State property.

Apparently back then police and Guard armories had almost no security, and were by all accounts, easily burgled.

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
I never understood lawmen like Hamer getting to keep stolen National Guard weapons.
I thought those were US Government property, or at least State property.
Besides that, after Bonnie & Clyde were whacked in their stolen car, someone somehow acquired the car and the woman who owned it had to fight to get it back. Maybe the states or Feds who ran the armories just didn’t care, or it wasn’t routine for police or FBI to try to find the original owners of stolen property.

·
Registered
428 Posts
maybe the bureaucracy back in the day made it easier to just let stuff lie. Keep the press and the higher ups from asking questions. jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts